Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

My computer crashed ( blue screen ) whilst using Windows 8.1,

Customer Question

My computer crashed ( blue screen ) whilst using Windows 8.1, taking out the part of the boot section. When I restarted the computer, it loads the first couple of screens then reboots continually. I reinstalled Windows 8 from my disk, but it tells me that the product code is being used by another computer. I tried to obtain the code from Microsoft but it incorrectly says that I have not bought anything from them. I have in fact bought 4 pieces of software from Microsoft within the stated period. My system consists of: AMD 6100 4core CPU, 3SATA 500gb hard drives, 4gb Ram, Gigabyte series 9 motherboard. How can I obtain the correct product code?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is Jess and I am glad to assist you today.

You first had Windows 8 and then you upgraded to Windows 8.1. When it crashed, you reinstalled Windows 8 from the original disk? Did you format the drive?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

NO because I have a lot of important information stored on it, that I must keep.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Michael,

Thank you for writing back. So the scenario I described was correct. You originally have Windows 8, later upgraded to Windows 8.1 for free and then reinstalled Windows 8 from the original disc. Is this correct?

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Quite correct

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Michael,

When you boot your computer now, is it still loading Windows 8.1 but encountering a lot of problems? Or it is no longer booting because of the downgrade attempt?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I start or re-start my computer, I have to press F12, tell the computer to boot from the hard drive. It will then carry on booting from there. However it will not continually boot from switch on, as previously described.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Michael,

Did you create a backup of your system (backup image) before upgrading to Windows 8.1?

Also, please try to repair Windows 8.1 instead of reinstalling Windows 8. Boot the computer and press F8. In the boot options, please locate and pick the appropriate repair option.

Keep me posted.
Jess