Hunter Owens
Hunter Owens, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Your problem meets my passion. A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist.
20422294

My emachine eM350 nothing on the screen

My emachine eM350 nothing on the screen
Category: Computer
Expert:  Hunter Owens replied 3 years ago.

Hunter Owens :

Hello, it will be my pleasure to assist you today. I'm a certified technician with years of experience resolving problems for people.

Hunter Owens :

Do you hear any noises when you turn the computer on?

Hunter Owens :

Hello, are my above messages visible to you?

Customer:

yes I hear it starting and the screen gets lighter then it gets dark but nothing else on screen

Hunter Owens :

And do any lights illuminate on the front left side besides the fully charged light?

Customer:

yes the first two are blue and the disk light sometimes flickers

Hunter Owens :

It sounds like the screen is working if it is getting lighter, but have you tried connecting another monitor to the laptop?

Customer:

no - how do I do that

Hunter Owens :

Do you have a monitor, such as one connected to a desktop computer?

Customer:

yes

Hunter Owens :

Okay, I'm pulling up the specifications for your specific model now, but there should be a monitor port on one of the sides of the laptop.

Hunter Owens :

You would then connect the monitor cord to it.

Customer:

If I do that I will not be able to continue on this computer without the monitor

Hunter Owens :

What you can do is unplug the monitor from this computer, but leave the computer running, don't shut it down, then connect the cord to your laptop, turn the laptop on, wait a bit to see if anything appears on the monitor, then plug the monitor back into this computer and we'll be back in the same chat.

Hunter Owens :

It looks like we may have gotten disconnected somehow. Please let me know when you return.

Customer:

sorry about that

Customer:

the other monitor worked fine

Customer:

what can I do about my emachine monitor

Hunter Owens :

Just to confirm, when you say the other monitor worked fine, you mean that you were able to use Windows and the computer, (although through the other screen)?

Customer:

yes

Hunter Owens :

That's a good sign. It's better than having the computer's motherboard go bad. Unfortunately, replacing a laptop's monitor screen isn't simple as you might imagine if you're not used to working with laptops. The part itself isn't too expensive, you can get it for under $50 (USD) online, but I would recommend having it professionally installed and replaced, or you could opt to only use the computer with an external monitor attached.

Hunter Owens :

There is a chance that it could also only be a loose cable, but again, not something you really want to look into yourself as laptops are very small spaces to work with if you're not used to it.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to the USA on Monday and I'll get my son-in-law to source a replacement monitor - or maybe buy a new tablet. Have you any recommendations for a tablet ?

Hunter Owens :

Oh, have fun over in the USA! I personally use an iPad Mini and like it quite a lot.

Customer:

Thanks for your help

Hunter Owens :

You're welcome. To conclude I would suggest going to a smaller, independent computer shop and have them check the monitor cable connection and then replace it if necessary. You can select a rating to end our chat today.

Customer:

Experience: Your problem meets my passion. A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist.