James
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

My Dell Latitude E7440 laptop with an Intel Dual Band wireless

Customer Question

My Dell Latitude E7440 laptop with an Intel Dual Band wireless AC 7260 will not connect reliably to my TP-Link TD-W8960N Wireless N ADSL2+ Router Modem. However other devices in my house connect to the router finmr and are stable. I have 2 problems with the Dell Latitude, firstly it sometimes repeatedly connects to the wireless network then drop then connects then drops etc. And the other problem (which is happening now) is that is connects to the wireless network but there is no internet connection.
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

Did you get a chance to test the laptop on other wifi networks?

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not recently although about 3 weeks ago I stayed in a farmhouse for a week and don't recall having the problem

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Okay. And did you have problems at home BEFORE staying at the farmhouse?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Okay.
Did you try to reset the router?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I've done that and I've updated the router firmware, although actually i think it's not fully upto date as there are several versions and it seems you have to do each update before you can do the next one and it was taking too long and I wasn't convinced it was going to solve the problem.

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Since your computer uses a very new wifi technlogy (AC), it makes sense that you want to bring the router to the most up to date firmware.

Please do that, and let me know if the problem is not solved.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see the call is about to close, so before I rate my satisfaction could you please let me know this. If I find that fully updating the firmware does not solve my problem then; (1) how will I connect back to you and (2) will it be a continuation of this call / issue without further cost or will it be a new case and (3) if I now rate this as OK or above and your solution does not work will I have chance for a refund. I think you understand my dilemma

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
1) simply come back to justanswer.com and click My Questions.
2) Any additional help you need for the issue will be at NO ADDITIONAL COST.
3) Refund is available at any time.

Let me know if the issue is not resolved, and I'll be happy to keep working with you to fix it.

J.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience: 20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear James, I’ve not closed the case yet because I’ve updated my modem firmware and now when the wireless adapter is connected it mostly stays connected, it seems a lot more stable. However, it is not fully stable, it is still sometimes disconnecting when other connected devices in my house are remaining connected and stable. I’m still assessing how much of a problem this residual issue is.

Mark

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
no problem, Mark. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am continuing to have a problem with the network adapter. For example right now, i'm working on my work laptop - Dell Latitude E6230, which always connects well to my wireless network but the Dell Lattitude E7440 is not connected - it is connected to the wireless network but is not connecting to the internet.

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
There could be an issue with the network adapter.

Is there any chance we can do a test on another wireless network in the next few days?

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, not sure when but I'll do that, I understand why. Thanks. I'll update when I've tested it.

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Appreciated!

J.