Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

From new, my Sony VAIO SVL2413Z1E Update keeps asking to update

From new, my Sony VAIO SVL2413Z1E Update keeps asking to update driver for NVIDIA Graphics Driver and then BlueUPg Graphics driver (NVIDIA), then repeats this sequence. Sony customer care just suggests complete recovery of the PC which isn't going to work because it had the problem from the start and the recovery media will include it. (You are instructed to make this recovery media yourself. No system disks etc are supplied)
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Does it ever give you an updated failed error?
Has the graphics card ever been replaced?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, it always shows installation successful. Everything is now as original except was updated to Windows 8.1. All Sony diagnostics are OK and everything works. It just shows these updates are required and they alternate as installed. Please not the update (BlueUPG Graphics Driver NVIDIA) does not exist as an update on the Sony site, only presented to automatic update.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok let's find out if your driver is up to date for sure or not. If it is we can hide that update since you would not need it. To do that right click on the windows button on the bottom left corner. Then click on device manager. Click on display adapters, then right click on your Nvidia and click on update driver. What happened when you did this, did it say up to date?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it says up to date

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok good then the update is not needed and already installed.
Right click on the windows button again and click on search.

Type in update and click on windows update.
Click on important or optional updates whichever is showing.

Then right click on that update and click on hide update.
If asked for permission allow it, and then the update should stop trying to install.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a Vaio Update and not a Windows update

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
This update should show through windows update, can I remote onto your computer to see what is happening?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. I am having problems because this site keeps asking for my email address and then complains that it belongs to another member.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I have no control over anything on this site, but I will send it in so those who do will know.
Please download and install teamviewer here: Click Here
When it opens it will give you a user ID and a password XXXXX need those two numbers to connect.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ID 319 327 311

Password XXXXX

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I am connected now.
.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.

.
The problem was resolved via remote if it happens again click on the folder icon on the bottom. Then click on the C drive on the left side. Click on the ProgramData folder and then sony corporation. Here delete the Vaio Update folder.You shoudl also be able to change your desktop back now.

To do that right click on any empty area and then click on personalize. Here you will be able to change the wall paper etc back to what it was before instead of black. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.

Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience: Years of experience.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Let me know if you need any more help.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The issue has returned. ie NVIDIA updates keep repeating

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Did you repeat the steps I gave you for the cache? Is it the same 2 updates?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is the same 2 updates & you cleared the cache yourself. The system disconnected us after that. It remained OK yesterday, but checked updates today & it is back again.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I posted the steps to clear them on this page for you, can you try those steps for me? It should be a couple posts above this one on this page.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have cleared the cache. Will I need to do that daily?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Check it again tomorrow if the same thing happens again uninstall your current updater from the computer. Then install this one: Click Here
.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After deleting cache a few minutes ago, it has already asked me to update NVIDIA Graphics driver. Shall I download updater as suggested above?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Sometimes you need to uninstall first but yes try running that now. The problem is caused by a bug in the vaio updater software and the way it names some files.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Installed Updater & it still asks for NVIDIA update. Shall I uninstall updater & reinstall?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Please do, you will need to restart after uninstalling and before installing again to make sure it uninstalls fully. To get back to me go to justanswer.co.uk and click on my questions at the top.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You mean that which is found in programs & features under VAIO update?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Yes you would need to uninstall it there, then restart the computer. After restarting install a freshly downloaded copy of the new one. You may even want to clear the cache again and empty the recycle bin before installing the new one.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Uninstalled VAIO update, cleared cache, and recycle bin. Restarted & installed Updater on your link. Restarted.

Ran update check & system demanded install of newer version of updater which I did. Restarted

Did update check & request is there for NVIDIA Graphics driver!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Install it, and once it is installed clear the cache one more time. We can disable vaio updater as well if you would like to, all those updates would also show in windows update. The Nvidia one you already had installed. They would show as optional updates in windows update.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cleared cache again. Restarted. Asks again for NVIDIA Graphics driver In the history in Updater This driver is not installed, but the BlueUpg NVIDIA is. In Programs & Features, the NVIDIA Graphics driver exists but nothing with BlueUpg in the name.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
The drivers would not be there they would be in the device manager only since they are not programs. Nvidia has a control panel and some other software which is why it shows there. When I checked your computer both were already installed. If they were not they would show up in windows update as well under optional updates. Can you check for updates in windows update and let me know what it find? Did you update fully including the vaio software in windows 8 before going to 8.1?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only Windows updates show in Windows update history. Only a definition update for Defender came up for update request + optional Bing Desktop update. The computer was fully updated before going to Windows 8.1. Although the VAIO updater then kept updating the NVIDIA driver even in Windows 8 - but I thought nothing of it at the time.

Note. If all NVIDIA files are separately uninstalled from programs & features, both NVIDIA Graphics Driver & BlueUpg NVIDIA drivers install exactly the same files. Is there some conflict of identity?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
They are not the same one if your graphics driver and the other is your bluetooth driver. Nvidia has a control panel program in programs and features none of the drivers are listed there. Windows update is not showing them now because you have updated through vaio in the past, if there was a newer it would have shown which means they are up to date and installed properly. If this was happening in windows 8 unfortunately that is why we can not resolve it now.

Sony software has a lot of bugs one of which is that when not fully updated, with a clear cache if it has this error it will not work properly on 8.1. The reinstall we just did would have needed to be done before installing 8.1 to fix the issue. It is recreating the cache with what you had in 8 now. Unfortunately this is also why Sony recommends using there updater to install from 8 to 8.1 instead of the download.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I followed Sony's instruction to upgrade to Windows 8.1 to the letter including creating recovery media a few days after getting this PC. For various reasons I had to recover back to 8 and do it again early on so I know it takes about a day to get everything back to how I want it. Sony support insists I restore to factory settings before they will deign to examine this problem - but I know it seemed to exist from the get go so my recovery media made on receipt will include whatever bugs/problems that are there now.

These requests for downloads are an irritation but seem not to be causing any harm except using a lot of my download quota.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
You can ignore those 2 by unchecking them they only install if checked in the list, unfortunately if you made recovery discs after this problem it would probably occur with those as well. Have you tried the factory installed recovery partition? Some machines have a partition installed that will allow you to restore to factory settings without the discs, it sets the machine back to how it was the day you bought it instead.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't think it has a recovery partition which is why it instructs you to make recovery media straight away.

Please note: the update BlueUpg Graphics Driver (NVIDIA) loads all the driver files that NVIDIA Graphics driver loads - maybe a few bits of data are concerned with Bluetooth, but all the files loaded by it have the same names. In the meantime is it feasible to disable VAIO update and leave it all to Windows update or should I carry on just not ticking the box for updating it?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
All do that because if you ever need to replace the hard drive the partition is gone.We can disable vaio update instead if you prefer, to do that right click the windows button and click on search. Type in vaio update options and click it in the list.

In the Vaio Update Options window, clear the 'Automatically check for updates on the support page' check box. Click OK and then reboot. If you want to find out if you have a recovery partition to restore shut down the machine.

Then with the computer turned off press the assist button. On the vaio care screen press F10. Choose your keyboard etc, then choose troubleshoot. Here choose recovery and maintenance. Choose windows 8 if it is listed. Choose start recovery wizard. Click on skip rescue. Then click on the yes im sure check box. Then click on start recovery. It will format your hard drive and restore it to the day it was bought rather than the day the discs were made. If you ever have to replace the hard drive use the discs.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any penalty to disabling the VAIO update? Also, how come what did yesterday worked even if temporarily, and when I repeat it today it doesn't.

Thank you for all your assistance. Where can I leave my very positive comment?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
It looks like you have already rated me as highly as you can which I sincerely appreciate (about 13 posts up). If you would like to send in any comments though you would send those to [email protected] this site does not have a written feedback option unfortunately. The only draw back to disabling the updater is that you may miss out on some updates specific to the vaio branded software. Everything else nvidia, realtek, atheros, will show up through windows update.

Vaio programs are bloatware so it is up to you, most technicians want to disable all of those programs anyway since they tend to be very buggy and unreliable. As for why it worked temporarily I have no idea since it is not working now temporarily. The only thing I can think of is that when it is recreating the cache it is putting back the same incorrectly named files. Which is causing it to show updates that are already installed.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since I not use any of Sony's apps or their own crap software, I will probably disable their updater. Again many thanks for all the trouble you have taken for this apparently trivial problem that I never imagined would be this intractable.

Generally, I was happier with XPpro which served me well. I have yet to discover any advantage to Windows 8.1 except it is better than Windows 8 which I found useless for Desktop use.

Bye and again, many thanks for your patience.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
You're welcome and there is a xp pro version that is part of hirens boot disc that you can run. But it is really only useful as a once in a while use since you can not save anything to it. Otherwise the real advances over xp are all backend functionality and vulnerability improvements. The user interface in my opinion has been destroyed it is good for touch screens like tablets but not desktops, I am hoping it is like vista/7 and 9 will be better. I hope you have a wonderful day.
.