Jacob Mylan
Jacob Mylan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10 Years of customer service, 8 years of hardware/software maintenance and troubleshooting
29460692

i have forgotton my password XXXXX my samsung d3 external hard

Customer Question

i have forgotton my password XXXXX my samsung d3 external hard drive is there any way to reset it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jacob Mylan replied 3 years ago.

Jacob Mylan :

Good evening. I can help you out with this password issue. Can you provide me with some more details about the Samsung D3 External Hard drive? Is that the full model number for it? Can you remember about the time you bought it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its a Samsung d3 station series I got it this year

Ok perfect. Do you see any kind of reset button on the drive casement? I don't want to press it just yet but I just am curious. Typically a reset button is hidden and you have to use a paper clip to press the button. If there is a button we may need to use it later. I am not sure if we reset the drive itself, it may format the drive and all the data may be lost.

So here is what I recommend we do. We will need to carefully open up the case to the disk station and pull the hard drive out of it. Once the drive is out we will need to connect it to your PC using a power cable and sata cable inside your PC. This way you should be able to make a copy of all your data on that drive.

Once you have a copy of all your data on the drive itself you can put it back into the disk station and then we can try a full reset. To do a full reset on the device it may be one of these two options:

1. While the disk station is powered on, hold down the reset button for 45 seconds.

or

2. Power the disk station down, press and hold down the reset button on the disk station, while holding down the button power on the disk station. Hold it down for 30 seconds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi just looked at it, the unit seems to be sealed as i can't find any way in

I found a video on the web that can help you get into it without breaking it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS0yfEIsPzc

This is usually what I do when I have a piece of customers equipment. They put those drives together with what seems to be very very small machines.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will have a look )

thank you

How is it coming along there? Any luck getting into that case?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hiya I have got it open, bit scary as I was worried about breaking it lol

Excellent! Yeah they put those things together so that the are nearly impossible to get opened up. Now we need to get the hard drive pulled out of it.

Once the drive is out we need to get it connected to another desktop computer. Do you have a desktop computer there to work with?

Or they also make a system that allows you to connect the hard drive sitting on your desk via usb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

It looks like that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a desk top

so do I need to unscrew the hard drive from the rest of the case?

Yes the physical hard drive will need to come out of the hard drive enclosure. Once you have the hard drive removed completely from that external HDD case we can put it into your desktop computer.

Please be sure to power down your desktop PC and then open the case. There will most likely be just one hard drive in it. We will need to leave that one be as we will use that current operating system to get to your files. Connect the hard drive to the mother board using a SATA cable and be sure to connect it to the power supply also.