Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

Internet Explorer has suddenly stopped working on my desktop

Internet Explorer has suddenly stopped working on my desktop PC. though everything else appears to be in working order..
The OS is Windows XP Home Edition. Since I cannot contact anyone
on that PC I am using my Notebook PC to send this message.
Can you suggest a possible cause and cure?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello Derek! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Please try the following:

- Restart the Desktop PC, and do not open anything, but do the following first:

1. Click Start , and then click Control Panel. Then open Internet Options.
    (Or you can click on Start, then click on Run..., then type inetcpl.cpl then click OK, then it will show you the Internet Options window.)
  2. Then click on Delete and delete only temporary internet files.
  3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
  4. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
  5. Then close.
  6. Then open Internet Explorer, and check.

If that does not work, from the working notebook, please click on the website below:

http://www.firefox.com/

, then download and save (but do not open/install it) the Firefox software file there

, then transfer the Firefox file to the Desktop via a USB drive

, then install Firefox on the Desktop

, keep all default options during installation

, then open Firefox and go to any website in Firefox and see if it works fine in Firefox.

Please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further if there is still any issue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Followed instructions, closed and restarted computer, clicked on Internet Explorer icon, no result,

Further to your second suggestion, some little time ago I installed Firefox as a backup browser. Both browsers worked perfectly well, side by side,

but now, not only can I not activate Explorer, when I click on the Firefox icon I get the message 'Couldn't load XPCOM'.

What can I do?

I'm sorry, can you go to Start, Control Panel, Add/remove programs, then remove Mozilla Firefox there

, then restart the computer, then download and install Firefox per my previous suggestion.

And/or try Google Chrome:

http://chrome.google.com

Please let me know if there's still any issue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unable to uninstall Firefox from Desktop. Downloaded Firefox to Notepad, clicked Save, attached USB cable to both computers and realised I didn't know how to proceed. Thinking I'd made a mistake with the download I repeated the process, with the same result. If I type Firefox in the search box I find two entries for FirefoxSetup 708KB and no idea what to do with them. On the Notebook start screen there is an icon Continue Installation, which I have ignored, and a further icon Outfox TV which I am unable to uninstall. Help!

I'm sorry, you do not need to type Firefox in the search box. And you do not attach a USB cable to both computers; you need a USB storage drive, like USB external hard drive, or USB flash drive; something like in the image below. If you don't have one, you can get it from your local computer store.
graphic

Let's do the following exact steps:

On the Notebook, click on the website below:

http://wikisend.com/download/496466/

, then click on Download file there, and save it to a folder on your notebook
, the file name is called Fire Setup 29.0.1
, then connect the USB drive to the notebook
, then transfer that file Fire Setup 29.0.1 to the USB drive
, then connect that USB drive to the Desktop
, then open the file Fire Setup 29.0.1 on the USB drive in the Desktop in order to install it.

If Firefox does not work, then try Google Chrome (using similar steps as above with the website below):
http://wikisend.com/download/488216/
(or website https://www.google.com/chrome)

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I accessed Wikisend as instructed - numerous links shown - I clicked on
Download and again got numerous links including one for Chrome Browser and one for Explorer browser, but not one for Firefox.

Do I download the Chrome browser and if so what do I do with all the Firefox material currently littering my Notebook?

Nothing seems to work as it should!

I'm sorry, there is only one link, not numerous. All you need to do is to click on a wikisend website, then click on Download file there, then it will let you save it (don't click on anywhere else on the wikisend website.) You can click on the image below; I marked where you should click on to download:

What exactly happens when you click on Download file at one of the wikisend websites I've provided you?

If you'd like to, can we do a remote session on your notebook, so we can chat, and I will be able to download Firefox or Chrome file directly for you, then I will transfer it to a USB drive for you. Then you can plug in the USB drive to the desktop, and install.

Please let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Finally got there! Downloaded Firefox to USB drive, inserted drive into Desktop and nothing happened of course. I can only thank you for your advice and endless patience, it has been most impressive. I have, however, run out of patience and decided to abandon the idea of reinstalling a browser on the Desktop. I think it is similar to an old car, there comes a time when repair and maintenance becomes impracticable. If the time comes when this Notebook requires professional aid, I shall have no hesitation in soliciting your help.

Best wishes,

Derek

I'm sorry, after you have inserted the drive into the Desktop, you need to open My Computer (either open My Computer at the Desktop screen or clicking on Start, then click on My Computer), then open the USB drive letter there, then open the firefox file in the usb drive there in order to install it.

OK, if you have any computer question/issue in the future, please come back any time. Thank you very much,