SkillJim
SkillJim, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Have diplomacy in Computer Science, and can help with a number of subject areas.
74775890

I am now using Windows 7 and want to continue running the game

Customer Question

I am now using Windows 7 and want to continue running the game Grand Prix 4 using the Side Winder wheel. I now do not have proper control of my car in a race. Is there anything else that I need to do? Any help would be very much appreciated. Ray
Category: Computer
Expert:  SkillJim replied 3 years ago.

SkillJim :

Hi, could you tell me what part of the control isn't working as intended please? Is it the steering or the braking?

Customer:

It is the steering mainly

SkillJim :

okay, have you checked out the controller options in the settings menu? you should be able to calibrate the steering wheel to verify within this menu that the controller is responding correctly

Customer:

I will check the controller options in the settings menu as you suggest and hopefully and hopefully calibrate the steering wheel.

SkillJim :

Okay, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a couple of suggestions for you if the ingame menu's do not help

SkillJim :

for additional help whilst calibrating the steering wheel within the ingame menu's, please refer to - http://www.simracingworld.com/content/215-official-readme/4/

SkillJim :

I will also list this additional help below. Please reply to me when you have tried this.

You may want to switch off Force Feedback whilst calibrating your wheel as it is operational during calibration.

1. Open the options menu

2. Select Controls - Select Wheel on the list

3. Select Advanced

4. Here you will see an option called 'Choose Control Method' highlight the button marked 'Control Driven Calibration'

5. click OK

6. click on calibrate

SkillJim :

X-Axis - Steering

Steer full left - press fire button '0 to -512'
Steer full right - press fire button '0 to +510'
Centre Wheel - press fire button '0'

SkillJim :

Y-Axis - Acceleration and Braking

Apply Full Throttle - press fire '31 to 0' right hand peddle
Apply No Throttle - press fire '31' let go of all peddles
Apply Full Brake - press fire '31 to 62' left hand peddle
Apply No Brake - press fire 31' let go of all peddles

Calibration Complete.

SkillJim :

To Change any of the sensitivity options

1. Open the options menu

2. Select Controls - select User Set

3. Select Advanced

4. Change controller type to Wheel

5. Calibrate as above

6. Select Save (give your save a filename i.e. "mywheel" )

7. click OK

Customer:

Very many thanks for all the information. I appreciate your help and your time. I shall need a bit of time to go through all your notes but hopefully I shall arrive there.

Expert:  SkillJim replied 3 years ago.
That's perfectly fine Ray, I was standing by just incase you required some more help.

Please reply to me if you are still unable to get your controller to fully function properly, as my next step was to try and patch the game with the latest files.

Hopefully we don't need to get to this step and your controller will be working fine after calibrating it within the ingame controller menus.

All the best, and thank you for leaving a rating for me, it's very much appreciated!