Brandon M.
Brandon M., Information Systems Manager
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

I update my website details regularily however if a visitor

Customer Question

I update my website details regularily however if a visitor access the site through google or yahoo the details are out of date. Why is this
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 2 years ago.

Jerry Hannell :

hello sir/madam
I would like to help you, please let me know when you are ready

JACUSTOMER-z64dzrub- :

ok

Jerry Hannell :

hi, what is the url? (address) so i can check it

JACUSTOMER-z64dzrub- :

www.watertopfarm.co.uk

JACUSTOMER-z64dzrub- :

are you still with me jerry

Jerry Hannell :

checking

Jerry Hannell :

what is the difference exactly?

Jerry Hannell :

i checked both,

Jerry Hannell :

i opened the page directly

Jerry Hannell :

also via google

Jerry Hannell :

they are same

JACUSTOMER-z64dzrub- :

The times of opening are different and when a visitor tries to use the contact page on the google/yahoo version,their email is sent but we do not receive it. Yet lots of replies do come through.

Jerry Hannell :

I am out of ideas, let me opt out and open this question to other experts. remote assistance may be needed.
if no expert opts in, we can continue.

JACUSTOMER-z64dzrub- :

Is the opening times info not different on our website compared to the google/yahoo search.

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Brandon and I would be happy to assist you.

When you say that when the user visits from Google or Yahoo, it is out of date - is it possible that the user is using the cached version of your site? Cached versions can be out of date as they are only saved periodically. If they use any elements on the page, it might be trying to submit the for through Google or Yahoo which will fail because they wouldn't have a cached version of your email script.

If you can find out how exactly a user is accessing the site through Google or Yahoo, see if they are using the cached version.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Talking to a customer this evening he used his ipad to access www.watertopfarm.co.uk which came up with yahoo. There were a list of links to the website. he choose one which came up with the opening page of the site but an outdated version. He clicked on the contact us page ,sent the details ,got confirmation his email was sent but we never received it.

Ok, just to clarify, I assume he searched for the website with Yahoo and the links he is referring to are the quick links they provide. They seem to be ok and do link directly to the pages.

The Cached link is there but that is as of yesterday's date and looks to be the same as the current page. Links from the cached version go to the actual site as well.

This is certainly an interesting issue. There is also a cached version sometimes on the user's devices but that still would not prevent the contact form from sending.

I accessed the site from my iPad to see if there was a mobile version that might've been out of date but there isn't.

This appears to be a Wordpress blog, is that true?

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't really know. Have you accessed both versions of our site? The opening times differ on both versions?

Actually, I just noticed that the dates are different on the homepage then the contact page.

Homepage:
Easter :19th,20th and 21st April
May :3rd, 4th and 5th.
May :24th,25th and 26th.
June :28th - 31st August
Closed (25th and 26th August....Lammas Fair)
Times:
11.00am - 5:30pm Daily

Contact Page:
Easter cancelled due to heavy snow
4th May 2013 - 6th May 2013 inc
25th May 2013 - 27th May 2013 inc.
15th and 16th June
22nd and 23rd June
29th June 2013 - 1st Sept 2013 inc
(closed lammas Fair 26th and 27th August)
season (Caravans and Tents)
Open--Easter to Halloween
Times:
11.00am - 5:30pm Daily

So, I believe this is a Wordpress blog. You might have a cache plugin causing some troubles with this. When you log in to update your information, do you see an "Empty Cache" link at the very top in the black bar? If so, click it and let me know when you have done so. I will try refreshing both the pages mentioned above.

Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't see any Empty cache link. On my own admin the website details are correct.

Would you be willing to share your login details with me? I think you might have some caching going on with your website which can cause false information to be displayed. If you don't mind, please use http://www.privnote.com/ to secure it so only I can see it.

Best regards,
Brandon
Just wanted to check in with you to see if you still need help. I would be happy to log into your site and see if I can find the server-side cache that might be causing the pages to show up wrong.

Best regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok brandon

Welcome back :). If you don't mind, please use http://www.privnote.com/ to secure it so only I can see it.
Do you still need help with this?

Brandon