Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My question seems to have vanished! Its not ion the list of

My question seems to have vanished! Its not ion the list of my questions.. is it live?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

I dont see this question in your list, so will work with you here on it.

If you click Start and type in

ncpa.cpl

Press enter

Then right click on Wireless Network Connection and select Enable.

Does this then turn it on?

If so, you can right click on it again and select Connect to connect to your network.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Richard I already solved the problem by more or less doing this. I had to disable it and then enable it. It then responded to the button push.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Perfect Mark, it was just disabled via windows.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ahhh spoke too soon. I have a recurring problem with the wireless it seems. First it drops the connection, the when I got to the network centre and ask it to resolve the problem it starts the diagnostic, then it freezes the whole computer, even the mouse. Its just done this for the 3rd time - the lest time i left it instead of a button restart and it has restarted itself, with the wireless disabled.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
When did this problem start Mark?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ummmm yesterday, cant remember if it was just before or after I ran a malwarebytes scan or after. I just tried nspa.cpl and it didn't even appear on the list. Task manager had a yellow '!' against it this time and said it had not enough resources so I disabled the other one in the list (as advised) and restarted. Its come back up with the wireless this time but it remains to be seen if this is now a stable solution.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, click start, type in

system restore

Press enter and follow the steps to perform a system restore from a date before yesterday.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you have the problem please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok the earliest restore point I have is only the 21st May, even when I tick the box that says 'show earlier I have restored it to there but the problem remains. Last night the computer wanted to install a 'critical update 1 of 1 before shut down. It seemed to spend a long time on this and I left it rubbing. It was shut down when I looked at this morning and started fine. I dont understand why there aren't any earlier restore points.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
What is the make and model of the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Packard Bell EasyNote TS Model No PSW50. I thought I'd fixed it again by un/reintalling the network adapter but it's still happening and now this too freezes the entire machine.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, it is starting to look like a hardware fault Mark.

We will rule out corruption as causing this first.

do the following please

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Then check if you still have the problem.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard, well it took quite a few hours to run through the bit after the restart. Then it was fine, then it did it again. Would event log tell us what the cause is as I'm loath to get a new wireless adapter fitted if it's not actually at fault.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No it wont sorry Mark

The next step to confirm the adapter as faulty is to reinstall windows.

Have you backed up your data?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't enough room to mirror the entire drive onto the stand alone back up. I need to replace that with a 2T+ really but money is tight to be honest. The thought of having to do a massive edit is horrific! Would running it in safe mode separate a hardware from a software issue?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No, as we did that already via another method Mark.

That we ruled out which is why I really believe its the adapter.

You can get a replacement here for less then 10 pounds

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADAPTER-WIRELESS-DONGLE-ADAPTOR-Compatible/dp/B000W4CXCM

This can be an alternative for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suppose. Hate dongles though as I'm always worried their gonna snap off if the computer slips off my lap in bed or something. I've just come back in after an hour or so away collecting the car from the garage (another £500!) and its still working fine atm. It seems to come up fine when I reboot. Maybe I should just do a restart for the time being.

Thx for your help. Cant afford much of a tip I'm afraid :(

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No problem Mark!

If you restart it and its ok for the time being, it is strongly pointing to a faulty card, but I would advise to use it till it wont start again, and then look at a dongle.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.