Bryan
Bryan, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Hardware/Software/Viruses/Malware/Spyware .. I can help you fix it all.
59162784

Hi we have got a network set up at work, it consists of a lan

Hi we have got a network set up at work, it consists of a lan network, (24 port switcher, netgear router, poe switch, till, computer, file server, 2 network kitchen printers, 1 officejet network)

Coming off this network we have 3 access points for the wifi on the park and 2 access points set as repeaters,

The problem we are having is over night and sometimes during the day the network and wifi faults and no one can connect, the lan sometimes works when this fault develops. It can go a week and have no fault as well though.

The other problem that happens a lot is the 2 network kitchen printers have to be turned off and on every morning and sometimes twice a day or they do not work, we then get a backlog of the printouts that failed.

Any ideas greatly appreciated,
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Bryan :

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Bryan :

Can you find the common point where all faulting devices connect to?

Customer:

How do you mean?, it can happen any time, mainly the next morning, it is a holiday park so we do get various devices connected, however it does happen when no one is on site, just our own systems

Bryan :

Right. What I'm asking is, is there a common piece of equipment that all of the failing devices connect to?

Bryan :

For example, are all failing devices connecting to the switch either directly or indirectly?

Customer:

oh i see, well, firstly users connect to the access points on the park, the access points are then connected tj

Customer:

to the switch and then into the router, even if you connect directly to the router when the fault happens it still affects all the devices

Customer:

all the lan devices such as the printers go directly into the switch, then the router and they fault to. The fault still affects people if they connect directly to the router

Bryan :

Have you tried resetting the router to see if the fault still comes up? It sounds like it's fairly random timing, right?

Customer:

Hi bryan, yes hundreds of times, i installed the system as i have a slight bit of knowledge so i wasnt sure if it could be a setting on one of the access points or something, the problem is it works most of the time.

Customer:

It is random but the fault is usually there when we come into work the next day, all the access points have static ip address's and so o the fixed hardware, i used high ip numbers such as 192.168.1.220 and above and set the DHCP to 1 to 119 so we dont get any clashes.

Bryan :

Do you have Windows machines connected to the network? If so, have you checked the event viewer to see if anything noticeable happens before the fault?

Customer:

Hi yes we have a vista machine on the lan, and a win server sbs2008 server, how do i do this?

Bryan :

Click start, type "event viewer" into the search box, click event viewer when it shows up under "programs" in the menu. Then view the admin events. It is sorted by date and time so search for events around the time of a fault.

Bryan :

Also, have you swapped out the switch?

Customer:

Yes, i tried to swap the router with a bt home hub but that faults more often than the netgear hub, so will this event viewer see faults with the wifi even though it is connected through the lan, the fault seems to be mainly with the wifi but sometimes affects the lan.

Bryan :

Event Viewer will show all faults. You mentioned that you swapped the router, but you also said there was a 24 port switch in there as well. Have you swapped that out? Or, do you have WiFi on the router before the switch?

Customer:

I havent swapped the switch but like you say there is wifi on the router itself and the whole lot goes down, there is always an internet light on the router though, im trying to use event viewer now, not sure how it works really, im not sure what i am looking for, i can see errors, one says dhcp-client, i have attached it.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Bryan :

Is your router at 254?

Bryan :

And I thought that all of your devices had static ip's assigned?

Customer:

i yes i set the gateway to 192.168.1.254 and then fixed ip addresses to 192.168.1.220 - 192.168.1.253 and dhcp to 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.219

Bryan :

Ok, so what device is it that is trying to be assigned 70 through DHCP? If all devices have static ip's then nothing should be requesting a DHCP assigned ip.

Customer:

I have only done this recently though, it was set a 192.168.1.1 and the dhcp range was set to 192.168.1.150 - 192.168.1.254 if that makes sent.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

I apologize. The timer ran out of time. We'll have to continue through Q&A.

Yes, that does make sense. But it still doesn't explain why a device is trying to get a DHCP assigned ip.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi no problem not sure if you got that last post, basically we have guests on the park daily that connect to the wifi with different devices, our work laptops are not assigned and the only static devices are desktops and printers etc.

many thanks

ian

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Well it looks like that particular guest was probably denied access. It looks like there are a few of those types of errors. Can you show me another one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, there is definitely something wrong in the setup of the DHCP assignments. And it appears that the machine you are running event viewer on is not really assigned a static ip. Can you tell me how you setup the static ip on this machine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This machine is one of our laptops, it has not got a static ip address, the current connection is at home as i am not at work at the moment.

Could it possibly be how one of the access points is set up? would this affect the router, its weirde because it works sometimes so i would have thiought if it was something i had set up wrong it wouldnt have worked at all if that makes sense.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that explains why the laptop is trying to get DHCP assignment. But still the DHCP is failing. It could possibly be any device that is trying to get assigned an ip through DHCP. If something fails, it might cause other errors down the line. But try to find the first instance from the most recent episode where DHCP fails and send me that screenshot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi i think i need to look at the event viewer on the desktop tomorow because i think this laptop has its own fault, i am getting the same error report even though i am at home but having no problem with the network, i have attached it

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I'll be off and on tomorrow throughout the day. We've got some family coming over for part of the day but I'll try to sneak away and check in on you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

brilliant thank you

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Talk to you then
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI these are the first 3 errors we get when i have come into work today, my computer seems to have internet but these errors are showing.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. If you still get internet, then that means that the retry worked. So that's good. Do you want me to login remotely to check the even log? And I'm still leaning towards the router on this. Do you have yet another router that you can try?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bryan, i have got team viewer installed on this laptop if you want to try, it did it on the bt home hub as well though, it was worse on that, we had to turn the router on and off the next day everyday to get that to work.

if you give me a time and make sure im at the laptop

Many Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Ok, let's say 2pm Eastern Time. I'll have to send you an additional services offer so that you can send me the user and pass privately. Otherwise it is open to the public and I'm sure you don't want that.

hmmm ... for some reason it's not letting me send the offer. I'll try to get it straightened out before 2pm.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bryan, havent heard anything from you, i finish at 5pm uk time and im not on site so i cant do remote access after this time.

Many Thanks

Ian

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so you are 5 hours ahead of me. How about 3pm UK time on Thursday?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bryan, i can do anytime friday as i am working late, i am off today but i will be available until 10pm uk time on friday.

Many Thanks

Ian

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good Ian. Let's shoot for 6pm on Friday. Have a good day off!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi bryan, apologies for the late reply i have been off for a few days, i am on the work laptop now and at work if you would like to take a look.

Many Thanks

Ian

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Oh boy .. we just keep missing each other. How does tomorrow look for you? Since I assume you are no longer at work today.
Bryan, Computer Repairer
Experience: Hardware/Software/Viruses/Malware/Spyware .. I can help you fix it all.