Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Does anyone know how I can connect a Samsung M3 Portable harddrive

Does anyone know how I can connect a Samsung M3 Portable harddrive to a Samsung Galaxy note 2014 and read the files? It sees it but says it has an unsupported filesystem.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you tell me please how you copied the files onto the hard drive?

From your computer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, from my laptop computer.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that is the problem as it needs to be formatted with fat32

To do this, connect it to windows.

Then note the drive letter it is given eg: F

Then click Start, type in CMD and press enter

In the black window type in

format /FS:FAT32 F:

REPLACE F with the drive letter assigned in windows.

Once it is done, connect it to the note and it should then be able to read it.

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After it said it had been changed to FAT32 in the black box it asked for the current volume label for drive D.

I transferred some files on to it and tried it anyway and the Samsung said USB storage is blank or has unsupported file system.

What should I put where it asked for current volume label?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Anything you wish Martin, it is just the name for the drive, just keep it less then 8 characters.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In the end I had to put SAMSUNG in as the Volume label

The following then happened:

WARNING. ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE D: WILL BE LOST

PROCEED WITH FORMAT (Y/N) I typed Y and hit enter.

It has now completed 1% after 10 minutes - does that mean it will take hours to complete?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes it can, as it needs to convert a lot.

But let it complete and it should then work on the Note as it is then in the correct format.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

I left it running all night. This morning the black dialogue box said the volume is too big for fat32.

This is a 1TB drive.

When I tried to run it I had to format it to default which it said is NTFS.

Does this mean there is no way to use it with my tablet?

Martin

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it is too large Martin, and it wont work with the Tablet as it is NTFS which the tablet cannot read.

You are only going to be able to use a drive or memory stick no larger then 32GB Martin.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry