Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

How do I resume configuration of my computer

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

What configuration are you trying to do in your computer?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The message on my screen reads(windows could not finish configuring the system. to attempt to resume configuration , restart computer. Which is what I have done but I still keep getting the same message Rebards Helen
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Helen,

Did you recently install updates in your computer but then that was the last screen error that you got? And every time you restart, you are getting the same error screen?

If this is your case, please do the following:
  1. Restart your computer
  2. Immediately press F8 key to get the Advanced Boot options
  3. Choose Safe Mode
  4. Please tell me when you are able to boot into Safe Mode

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jess as soon as I attempt to switch the computer back on it us closing down before I can get f8 up I'll let it cool down for a while snd get back ASAP Helen
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Helen,

Yes, please take your time and try booting into Safe Mode using the F8 key.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done that Jess but still getting same message up
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Helen,

Are you saying that when Safe Mode is loading with the black screen and the bunch of text on screen coming up, when you get to the login screen, you see that same error message?

Can you please try to select Safe Mode with Netowrking instead?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done it again same message
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jess just switched back on I've got the screen which says Advanced boot options but then the computer switches off
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Helen,

How did this problem started? Did you install recent updated? Or did you perform a clean install of Windows 7 in this computer?

Also, do you still have the Windows 7 DVD installer?

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My son has been using it so I gave no idea what he did ,I don't think he knows either .I don't have the DVD but will get one if I know where I can buy it from ,Sorry Helen we aren't very technology minded Helen
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Helen,

This is actually a corrupted system or corrupted installation issue and this requires the Windows 7 installation DVD.

But before I can tell you where you can get this DVD, can you please tell me if this problem computer is a laptop or a desktop? And can you tell me the exact model? Like Acer Aspire 257z.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jess it is a lap top Aspire 5741G. Regards Helen
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Helen,

Thank you for that information. Since you are using an Acer laptop, please try the following:
  1. Turn on the laptop or restart it if it is already turned on with the error message on screen
  2. When you see the Acer logo, or right after turning it on, press ALT+F10 to trigger the beginning of the restore process. That is, press ALT and hold, and keep tapping F10 key. If it asks you for a security code, try 000000 (six zeros).
  3. Then follow the on screen procedures to perform a factory restore.

Please note that a factory reset will wipe all data from the drive and then restore the laptop to its out-of-the-box state. If you want to recover some data, I suggest that you bring the laptop to the nearest repair shop so that the tech person can recover your data for you before doing the factory restore.

If the factory restore is not triggered by using F10, then that is the time to get a copy of the Windows 7 installation DVD.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much Jess although that didn't work I'll give it one more go then get the DVD thanks very much Helen
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Helen,

Thank you for writing back. Yes, please try the ALT+F10 procedures that I gave you. With the correct timing (just press ALT and hold and keep tapping F10 right after you see the Acer logo or right after turning the computer on), you shall be able to restore the computer to factory settings.

Also, in such recovery mode of Acer, there you have options to wipe out the drive completely and restore the computer to factory defaults, or to reinstall the Operating System (Windows) only keeping your old data. If you have data or files that you want to keep, I suggest you pick that option.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is now restoring the system thank- you so much .I would leave a tip but I'm on a low income since I retired but I did rate your service as excellent Regards Helen
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for the excellent service rating Helen. Thank you for your patience as well. If you ever need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your very welcome it's working already .How nice to be so clever .regards Helen x
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Wow Helen! It's great to hear that it is working already! Thank you very much for your patience!

Regards,
Jess