Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Android Tablet - new battery installed but only works when

Customer Question

Android Tablet - new battery installed but only works when plugged into laptop -not when plugged into charger (also new).

When connected to laptop and switched on red battery comes on and then green android. Tablet says battery is 100% but when unplug from laptop it just closes down !!!

Please help but need answer in dummy speak !!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Michelle :

What is the make and model number of the Tab.

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

model kb901

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

Hi thanks for your prompt response android version 4.0.4

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

Thank you for your response - model KB901 Android version 4.0.4

Michelle :

is it samsung KB901

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

Oh dear first question and am stuck - doesn't say Samsung anywhere - bought as present in presentation folder with keyboard !!

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

baseband version 1.5 / kernel version 3.0.8

Michelle :

you said you have installed a new battery on it

Michelle :

why did you replace the battery was there any prevoius problem with the tab

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

development device id CHJ-4DKB-Y4ZX-L keep finding numbers!

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

had the same problem to start with and as it had been on charge for quite a while I assumed it was the charger burnt out and then the battery burnt out !!!

Michelle :

back up your data of your tab on your computer and then remove the battery

Michelle :

check the polarity + and - or check the connector of the battery if its connected fine

Michelle :

after installing the battery back they try to turn it on

Michelle :

let me know how it goes.

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

Don't understand - new battery installed and soldered in ok

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

but same problem

Michelle :

try to reset the tab to factory default

Michelle :

after you backup the data

Michelle :

reset steps:

Michelle :

Press and hold down the volume down button and then press the power button

Michelle :

as you see android icon select the option using the volume key to reset to factory default.

Michelle :

let me know if you have any question.

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

Have reset to factory default but still goes off when I unplug from the laptop

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

It does not want to work unless connected to the laptop !!!!

Michelle :

This means the battery is not giving any backup to the unit

Michelle :

did you solder the battery polarity to correct positive and negative points on the Tab

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

Will have to check - may take a while as hubby has to do that

Michelle :

if the battery is new then it should charge and keep the charge however as the battery is not holding the charge that means the battery is not getting charged may be due to the negative and positive polarity of the soldered connection

Michelle :

revert the connectiion and then charger the battery for 15 mins and unplug it from the computer the battery must and the tab should work.

Michelle :

let me know after you try.

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

Am still trying to sort the tablet out - not easy - going to have another go today and will keep you informed.

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

Morning - we now have the back off the tablet - and hubby has checked the battery terminals which are OK but when I switch on now we get a battery with an exclamation mark in a red triangle on the screen which soon goes off. Do you understand this???

Michelle :

Try removing the SD memory card and check for any physical damage on the sd card slot battery doesn't charge if there is a problem of short circuit. on the board as well.

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

Had a look in the back of my tablet but there is no SD memory card - are we talking about the same tablet?

Michelle :

yes every tab has an sd card slot where you can install sd card which is called micro sd memory card, you must be having one on your tab as well.

JACUSTOMER-qyddfcm5- :

I thank you for all your help but I'm too much of a novice to go this far with my tablet. Know your trying your best but it is really beyond my capabilities as I don't know what I am doing. Sorry you could solve my problem.

Michelle :

let me know if you have more question.