Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Would a broadband line offering around 10-14 mb download and

Would a broadband line offering around 10-14 mb download and 0.5 - 0.7mb upload speeds be capable of offering a reliable VOIP service to 5 concurrent users (using a business SIP provider)?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

You need 64kb up and down in order to have a stable Voip connection.

Your upload speed is just at that level for 5 concurrent users, but you will also be using the connection for internet browsing and other services.

So while the download is fast enough, the upload will be very tight, and I would advise to get 2MB upload which is going to ensure high quality of your VOIP traffic.

You will also want to inquire if your provider can provide a QOS (Quality of Service) which then allows the internet to be prioritized for the voice traffic.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** helpful.

Actually the plan is to have a separate line for the VOIP. Unfortunately we have no fibre capability in our area so 2mb upload is going to be extremely expensive I think.

Do most business ISP offer QOS in your experience?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
yes, most business ISP's offer QOS (extra expense)

If it is a dedicated line, and you dont expect consistent concurrent calls on all 5 lines, it should be ok, you may just have some issues when all 5 lines are in use.

QOS though is advised as this is going to ensure you have minimal disruptions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, understood, thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome