Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

When I try to make a USB connection from my Sony Nex 5 camera

When I try to make a USB connection from my Sony Nex 5 camera to a computer or printer I get a 'Memory Card Error Message'
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

To clarify, even when you installed a new memory card, you still got the same error.

Is this correct?

thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I still got the same message

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Henry

I want you to format the memory card while it is in the camera please.

To do this

Press the Menu button, use the left/right buttons or turn the control wheel to choose the Setup menu (which is represented by the red toolbox icon), and press the center controller button to open up that menu.

Then press the down button (or, for quicker motion, spin the control wheel clockwise) to navigate all the way down to the Format entry.

Press the center controller button, and then press the lower soft key (as indicated on the screen) to confirm your choice and begin the format process.

Once it has formatted, take a photo and tell me if you still get the error when connecting please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have carried out the formatting procedure but getting 'check the connected device' . I am sorry, but I think I have mislead you. The 'memory card error' message came up when I put the card direct into the printer. I have sorted that problem as the printer cannot deal directly with cards of more than 2MB. But the USB connection problem from the camera still persists.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, never heard of any printer that cannot deal with a memory card less then 2MB...

Where exactly are you getting the check the connected device error?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On the camera screen

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Can you try using a different Cable Henry.

Do you still get the error?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks that seems to have solved the problem. Interestingly the old cable has no signs of damage and has not been mistreated.

I am very grateful for you help.

best wishes

Henry

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your most welcome Henry

It would be a lose connection at one of the ends. Impossible to see from the outside.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.