JoelK
JoelK, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

Cant get my HP Photosmart C 4585 printer to work on MacBook

Customer Question

Can't get my HP Photosmart C 4585 printer to work on MacBook Pro 10.9.3, why not and how to get it to work.

Category: Computer
Expert:  JoelK replied 2 years ago.

JoelK :

Hello. My name is Joe, and I will assist you with your computer and printer. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

JoelK :

Sorry, I meant to say my name is Joel.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Hi Joel

JoelK :

Hi. Have you installed the drivers for your printer on your Mac yet?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Yes Can't get my HP Photosmart C 4585 printer to work on my MacBook Pro osx 10.9.3

JoelK :

Right. Are your printer and mac connected wirelessly ?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

It did before Mac's upgrade to Maveric

JoelK :

Are you on your Mac now in this chat session?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

It"s USB connected

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Hello?

JoelK :

Open your finder and go to printers. Tell me if you see your printer listed there.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

"no printers available"

JoelK :

Okay. Click on the + to add a printer.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

I did that earlier but it wouldn't allow it to be entered

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

HP Photosmart C4585

JoelK :

You aren't supposed to enter it. The computer is supposed to find it. Then you just select it. If it isn't there, then we need to go to the printer control panel on the printer and see if it is connected.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Was inserted in the upper right-hand window but it wouldn't take

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

hello?

JoelK :

I don't follow. What was inserted in the window?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Printer is presently plugged into the computer

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

HP Photosmart C4585

JoelK :

How do you know if the cable is a good one. Did it work before the upgrade to Maverick?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Yes

JoelK :

Turn off your printer and unplug the usb cable.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Okay I've done that

JoelK :

Now turn on your printer and wait until it initializes. Then plug in the cable between the printer and the computer.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Okay I have reset the printer and have plug the cord into my computer, what's next?

JoelK :

Now go to the printer window and try once again to add a printer. Your printer should show up so that you can select it.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

I'm doing that now

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

It's showing no printer available

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

hello?

JoelK :

Unplug the usb cable. Wait a few seconds. Then plug it back in while the printer window is open.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Okay one moment

JoelK :

Unplug both ends of the cable, just to clean the contacts.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

There appears to be no change after doing what you've just suggested

JoelK :

Also, make sure to press the printer end of the cable securely into the printer connector.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

I did that also

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Still no printer shown

JoelK :

Okay. One last thing that is very important. You need to shut down your computer and restart it. Then you will have to reenter this chat. I will standby.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Okay I will see you momentarily after I've shut it down and rebooted

JoelK :

Right on.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Okay Joel I'm back going to my printers window and still shows no computer with printer still on and hooked up to computer

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Hello?

JoelK :

You have to unplug it and then plug it back in after waiting a few seconds. It is supposed to recognize when new hardware appears.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Doing that now and still no show

JoelK :

Do you have another usb printer cable?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Unfortunately no

JoelK :

Do you have another usb port on your MacBook?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Yes I tried that as well and doesn't show any difference, but everything else that I plug in to the USB does work. And before the upgrade to my MacBook Pro the printer did work.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Could it be that this printer model is no longer compatible with the Maverick upgrade?

JoelK :

How old is your printer?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Fairly old but I'm not sure as it was given to me.

JoelK :

Let me check something. Please standby.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Okey-dokey

JoelK :

?LI was trying to check with HP if your printer was compatible with your OS 10.9.3, but it said search was unavailable at the moment.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Ok?

JoelK :

IL will try again now.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

No hurry

JoelK :

I am seeing several other printers that are not printing with OS 10.9.3 on the HP Users Forum.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

I thought so, but you were my last resort.

Where do we go from here?

JoelK :

OK. I found something. HP says that you need to go to Apple and get the latest updates before your OS will recognize legacy (older models) printers.

JoelK :

Click on the Apple menu and go to software updates.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

I did that but they showed no upgrade from the Apple app store

JoelK :

It's not from the

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Still nothing showing for HP Photosmart c4585

JoelK :

Apple store. It's from Apple.

JoelK :

Also, you must unplug your printer before you do this.

JoelK :

The usb cable, I mean.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Okay where from Apple did you see this?

JoelK :

You need to go to Apple Software Update with the printer cable disconnected from the computer.

JoelK :

I'll send you the link. It is from HP. They said not to download new drivers from HP. They said to go to Apple to update the OS with the list of HP printers that are supported by Apple.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Okay I have unplugged the printer and have searched on Apple updates for HP photo smart C 4585, and a second time for HP Photosmart, and still showing no search results.

JoelK :

Here, I meant.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

I also went there twice and uploaded the updates for that from the HP site, but still when plugging in computer to printer, it's showing no search results from the Apple update window.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Any more ideas before we conclude that printer is not compatible?

JoelK :

Let me understand what you did. With the cable unplugged, did you select the Apple button and then select Software Updates?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Yes the Apple icon in upper left corner of screen, then selected updates and then wrote in printer updates then I tried HPE updates then I tried HP photo smart CE 40

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

c 4585

JoelK :

It's not HPE. It's HP Updates. The search cannot be misspelled for it to work.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Yes HP I had a typo when writing to you

JoelK :

So, when you went to the Apple button and selected software updates, it said that there were no updates available?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Yes You're correct

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

After doing all that as I said earlier I thought I would try your service and see if there was something else available

JoelK :

I can do some more checking on the HP Forum, but you will have to wait while I do.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

ok

JoelK :

Okay. Hang on.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

(:^\

JoelK :

I couldn't find any answers to my specific question about your printer, so I posted my own question. I won't get any replies right away. Let me search again for your OS not recognizing printers in general. Hang in there!

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

ok

JoelK :

No luck. When I search in general, the only post I get is my own. At least it is out there!

JoelK :

Let me Google it.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

ok

JoelK :

** B I N G O **

JoelK :

This user had a different printer, but she found that the Canon printer driver was preventing her Canon printer from being detected.

JoelK :

Translation: We need to DELETE your HP printer drivers from your MacBook Pro.

JoelK :

Then we download new printer drivers from Apple and install them.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

So, deleting the HP drivers and then trying to reinstall them when Apple is not showing any drivers available, how will that work?

JoelK :

This user said that she downloaded the drivers before detecting the printer. This may have been unnecessary and ineffective. However, Iam hoping that once we delete the old drivers, they will no longer inhibit the process. :-)

JoelK :

Go to your applications folder and look for any files, apps, or folders that say HP.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

ok I have deleted all HP files and downloads what's next?

JoelK :

Were there a lot of them?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

NO

JoelK :

Now go to Library and search for HP there. You can use the search window.

JoelK :

By the way, keep your printer cable unplugged until we are ready to have your OS X recognize your printer.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Not sure what you meant by library on a Mac computer?

JoelK :

Oh, it's a file folder, just like Applications.

JoelK :

It shows it both in the User/Admin hierarchy and also listed separately as Library.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

I think I have deleted everything in the Finder of HP applications

JoelK :

Okay. I just wanted to be sure there was nothing listed under Library. We can come back to this if it is necessary.

JoelK :

Now go back to the Apple icon and select Software Updates again. What do you see now?

JoelK :

BE sure that to keep the usb cable UNPLUGGED for this.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

One moment,,,

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Under preferences and then printers it's showing no printer available

JoelK :

We are not ready for that yet, and that would be with the usb cable CONNECTED. We have to check for updates first with the usb cable DISCONNECTED.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Again it's showing no updates available

JoelK :

Okay, that is disappointing, but if I am your last resort, I need to be thorough, right?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

I did put into the trash PHP folder under printers in the library, there are folders still in the library for Canon Epson Lexmark and other printers. Should I return the HP folder back from the trash?

JoelK :

Then, according to this procedure that I found for uninstalling programs, you also have to go to the Library folder and the Home folder and search for remnants of the HP installation in BOTH places.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

hp folder

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

ok?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

I completely remove the HP folder from the trash?

JoelK :

I am not clear. Did you already search and trash HP from the Library folder? I thought that you only did it from the Applications folder.

JoelK :

You can leave it in the trash for now.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

I remove files from the application folder and completely remove them from the trash, then I placed the HP folder from the library into the trash without completely removing it

JoelK :

Before you checked for updates?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

After

JoelK :

Then check again for updates. Cable still not connected.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

No updates available

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

And none for the HP Photosmart printer

JoelK :

Check your Home folder for HP files.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

home Folder??

JoelK :

Under Finder isn't there a folder or a listing called Home?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

With Apple I think it is the Macintosh HD and in that file is a subfile for printers of which I removed the HP printer file and placed it into the trash where it is presently

JoelK :

There is a Home under Finder. I have worked on my sister's MacBook, but I do not have one to look at at present.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

What are we looking for again?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

In that file for HP printer are the icons and all the little sub utilities of the HP printer

JoelK :

The procedure says to put them all into the Trash. We can always restore them later, if we need to.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

ok, what's next?

JoelK :

You know the drill. Check again for Apple Software Updates, cable disconnected.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Again, no updates available

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

In the recent past any HP photo smart updates came from the actual HP website

JoelK :

Okay. Close Finder and go to Apple - Printers. Click on the + to Add a printer. Power up the printer. When the printer is ready, plug in the cable and see if it is recognized.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Ok, at printer window, no printer showing available.

JoelK :

That's pretty much all I've got. I can check on the HP User Forum tomorrow. The only other thing that we could do is trash all the printer files in the Library. That seems a little extreme and should be unnecessary, but if you want to try it to see if they could be inhibiting the process, we can always restore them if it doesn't work.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Well, I think you've done all that you can do. This looks like it would have to be done by an Apple technician.

JoelK :

Okay, I have not solved your problem, but if you think that my level of service deserves a good rating, it would be much appreciated.

JoelK :

I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERVICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

You were diligent, that's for sure, but what do you do if the problem is not solved in regards to payment?

JoelK :

Either way, you can check back tomorrow to see if I got any responses to my post on the HP Users Forum.

JoelK :

It's up to you. I will certainly understand if you don't want to pay. The only thing that I ask is for you not to give me a negative rating, because I really have tried my best. You don't have to pay if you don't rate my services. Also, I can Opt Out in the meantime and let other experts have a try at this. If they solve it, you can rate them. I will be able to see what they did, and I can learn from that. Sound good?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

I think I may have to just go without printer because the solution wasn't to be found, I still want to give you a good rating but the payment is the question?

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

In other words, your service was good but we couldn't find any solution

JoelK :

I appreciate the thought, but if you rate, you will have to pay. Also, let me Opt Out, and maybe someone else can solve this. You also might want to start looking for a new printer, but maybe you will get an answer in the meantime.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

In the recent past in having my computers worked on if it could be sold and there was no charge, yet I don't want anything to reflect on you from this company that you're hired from.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Couldn't be fixed

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

What would you suggest?

JoelK :

I will just opt out for now. It has been really great working with you. Thanks for your patience. I have to keep trying new things, because It is all new, all the time. Don't worry. It will not show up at all, if you do not rate my service, and the experts on Just Answer are not employees. We are Independent Contractors, and they need for us to keep working, so that they can make their money.

JoelK :

I RECOMMEND THAT YOU CHECK BACK TOMORROW, AND YOU HAVE A GOOD EVENING.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Joel was diligent but we couldn't fine an answer to the printer problem and in this instance the problem remains.

JoelK :

I thought that I explained that I would find someone else to help you. Now you are going to have to pay for not getting the problem solved, and you have done damage to my reputation, after I spent over three hours with you.

JoelK :

!!!!

JoelK :

I guess you were more interested in giving me a bad rating than in getting your problem solved. When I said that I was going to Opt Out, that meant that I was going to allow someone else to come in to the problem solving session. That was for your benefit. I was not quitting. I can still try to help you if I get any more ideas or information. If you will upgrade my rating to a positive one, this can still work for both of us.

JoelK :

Hello again. This is Joel, and it is a new day. I apologize if I left you abruptly last night, but it was getting late, and I had not had dinner yet. One thing that I thought about that we did not try was restarting your computer after deleting all those printer files. It may take a restart for the computer to take inventory of what has been removed.

JoelK :

After restarting, you can go to the Apple Software Update and check for updates. Download the updates, if there are any. then go to Add Printers. Turn on the printer, and when it is ready, connect it to the computer with your usb cable.

JoelK :

Follow the Add Printer prompts to see if your computer recognizes your printer now. That is all I have to suggest for now. I could really use a positive rating, if you care to reconsider my time and effort and my level of service.

JoelK :

Here is something else that we haven't done yet. Go to Printers and Scanners and hold down the control key while clicking into the left-hand pane. This will bring up a menu. Select Reset Printing System. Then repeat the procedures for checking for updates and adding a printer. I hope this helps!

JoelK :

Here is a link to the Apple website showing how to reset the printing system:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14141

JoelK :

Here is a link to the Apple website showing how to install and use a printer on a Mac OS X Mavericks computer:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03967522#N189

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

We weren't able to fine a solution despite the exceptional diligence Joel gave which was no falt of his own.

JoelK :

I really think that Reset Printing System menu looked promising. I didn't know about it in our original conversation. We didn't try restarting your computer either. Have you tried repeating the update and installation procedures after doing these? PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I CAN USE THE FEEDBACK.

JoelK :

I want you to know how this process works. It is mostly automated. I appreciate your good comment about my service. It may score points with the moderator in a performance review. But your comment fits the definition of a Good Service rating, and my competence is measured by my statistics. That is what the customers see. Just like in sports, the comments don't count, only the score.

JoelK :

I am asking you to improve my score by changing your rating. If you will give me a positive rating, it will replace the negative rating, (It will not add to your charges.) But it will allow me to get paid for my time and effort.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Unfortunately it is my understanding that it I rate OK, or above, service then I will be paying for a service that wasn't able to correct the problem.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

I will have to take it to an Apple technician.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Not your fault, just the nature of an Apple Mac.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

Once more, to whom it may concern your efforts were stellar but we weren't able to correct the problem.

JACUSTOMER-cy28nqrw- :

All the Best to you,

JoelK :

My understanding is that you will still be charged for a negative rating. DID YOU TRY THE "RESET PRINTING SYSTEM" USING THE CONTROL KEY ON THE MENU? Why call a technician, when this simple step may be the answer? You have to try everything that I have recommended!