Brandon M.
Brandon M., Information Systems Manager
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

Hi, I have an asus vivobook s200e. Operating windows 8. It

Hi, I have an asus vivobook s200e. Operating windows 8. It has been fine but today couldn't configure windows update and now there is a message on screen saying 'failure configuring windows update. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer. It has two runs of nearly an hour (I.e. I switched it on and off in between) and no changes.

Please help! Urgent
Category: Computer
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you.

Just so that I understand, when you boot up, it just says "Failure configuring Windows Update. Reverting changes...." and just sits there?

Restart the computer. As soon as you see the Asus logo, start pressing the Esc key. Let me know if anything shows up other than Windows loading.

Brandon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello, tried your suggestion and the screen went black and then the message came back "Failure configuring windows..." etc

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am now out for a while so no access to my computer until this evening.
Ok, thanks for the update. What you can try doing is faking a crash. Our goal is to get to the advanced startup menu. As soon as you see the Windows logo, press the power button and hold it until the system turns off. Press it again to turn it back on. You should be presented with a few options. Choose Troubleshoot, then Advanced options, then Startup Repair. This should run through a series of tests that should be able to resolve the startup issue. When it is finished, restart and see if you are able to boot up normally.

Brandon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, it never gets to the Windows logo, just Asus and then failure message. Do you mean the Asus logo? Will try l

thank you!

ater when back at home.

The Windows logo should come right after the ASUS logo but it might just be too quick to see. When you see the ASUS logo, what options do you have? There should be options like Setup, Boot Menu, etc.

Brandon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Somehow I managed to get into advanced start up menu. Clicked on auto repair (there wasn't start up repair) which said it couldn't repair the problem. I am now trying system restore to get it back to the stage it was before it stopped working. It says finalising file restore and has taken 15 minutes and still going. Is that normal?
System restore can take a bit of time so be patient. That is a good step to do. Let me know how you make out with this.

Brandon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will do, looks promising - is configuring windows updates so fingers crossed! A colleague said her computer often crashes when there are new Windows updates. Is that right in your opinion?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still not working - gone back to failure configurating windows

If something happens during the update, you can get stuck in this "failed update" loop - it does happen. Typically doing a restore like you just did helps so it can attempt to re-apply the update properly. An alternative would be to just turn off updates but that is a bit risky as that will put your computer at risk.

Can you attempt to get back into the advanced startup and back into system restore? Restore to an older date. This won't affect any of the files on the computer like your documents.

Brandon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sadly nothing has worked