Bryan
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I bought a new Dell desktop and it was delivered yesterday.

I bought a new Dell desktop and it was delivered yesterday. I've set it all up and was running it all day. It won't switch on this morning but it will show it's 'on' light and the fan is gently blowing air. The front switch won't operate to turn it off! Finally, I've dumped all the boxes as it was all up and running! Hope you can help ***** ***** *****@******.***
Good job that my old Dell is still up and running so I can send mail and use skype...
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question!

What's the make and model of the Dell PC, please? Also, is the power light green - and is it blinking or steady now?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, the light isn't blinking but I can hear the fan gently rolling. Nothin else works I'm afraid.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, and what's the model number of the PC?

Do let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Inspiron 3847 running windows 8

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

inspiron 3847 running windows 8

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Now, please restart the desktop, then tap down the F11 key repeatedly just after powering it back on. Does anything show up on the screen this time?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing happened when I pressed f11 many times.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, nothing happens. Just the light shining on the button at the front. Numbers on the back are klist12 ********** /p>

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

haven't heard anything since you replied with the f11 answer.

I think the machine is dead. Nothing coming from it at all. Good job my old 531 is still working....

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in getting back to you - I had a service disruption at my end.

Now, could you clarify if you are not able to see Dell logo (at bootup) as well? Also, try pressing F12 repeatedly at bootup this time - does anything else show up?

Do let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'd like an answer to my original fault. Do you recommend just sending it back to Dell. It's only been working fully for a couple of days.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Since you just purchased the system, that might indeed be the safest bet for you at this point, getting the desktop replaced with a new one - without having to carry out convoluted steps to resolve the issue.

Again, could you clarify if you are unable to see the DELL logo at bootup, as well? Also, could you let me know where you purchased the system from, so that I could look up the return process for you to follow?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Machine doesn't boot up at all and the Dell logo doesn't appear, only a message from the monitor and it's going in to sleep mode when I switch it on. Shame is that after setting it all up I've dumped the boxes and paperwork as it was a good model, or so I thought. Will have to find a number for Dell and make a phone call I guess. thanks for your help anyway. ***** *****

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Okay. In that case - yes, you will just need to return the Dell system and receive a refund for the same.

If you wish to return your order, please submit this Returns form within 14 calendar days of delivery and a Customer Care Representative will contact you to resolve your issue. If necessary, the Customer Care Representative will set up a Credit Return Authorization, and instruct you on carrier pick-up specifics.

Once your system has been received back to Dell, you will receive credit on the full system price (excluding shipping & handling and applicable restocking fees) on your next billing cycle.

Alternatively, you may contact Dell by phone at
0800-028-2660 (Mon - Fri, 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM) - in order to proceed with the return process.

If you have any other questions, just reply back to me. Otherwise, I'd appreciate it if you could kindly take a moment to rate my service below.