Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

Hi There A friend received an email, not from my email address,

Hi There
A friend received an email, not from my email address, I did not send it, but my friend said they had it checked out, and it came from my computer , how can this be, and is there an explanation how this could happen, I am sure no one has accessed my computer
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

These types of scams/spamming e-mails are becoming extremely common these days and generally don't contain any viruses or malware - it's just spam advertising

Please change your password ***** away to avoid having this occur in the future. If you need assistance with changing your password, please Reply and let me know your email provider

Once you change your password, the spammer who is accessing your account from a different location will no longer have access to it and your account will be secured within 1-2 days.

Also, as a precaution you can download and run a FULL scan from MalwareBytes to make sure your computer is not infected. The software is free to run and if prompted to purchase/upgrade please decline and continue to use the software.

Malware Bytes download here ----> http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Click on the green download link and install once the download is complete. After the FULL scan is complete, please remove any viruses detected and restart your computer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand all about the scams etc, this email was more specific and personal, what I want to know is how can this be traced to my computer, not to my email address, I am not computer literate, so can an email be traced to my individual computer, when I am sure it was not sent from my computer

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Could it be traced to your computer? Yes but it would require a lot of work and someone who knows what they are doing.

This type of scam is done through someone having access to your email account which can be done by a virus/program on your computer. Someone doesn't have to have direct access to your computer (sitting at it) to gain access. Please change your password ***** run MalwareBytes from the link above.