Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

When I start my laptop I get this message. A disk read error

When I start my laptop I get this message. A disk read error occurred
Press Ctll+Alt+Del to restart.
When I do this after restart I get the same message.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 3 years ago.
Welcome. I am sorry that you are having a problem and I will be more than glad to help you to the best of my ability. I am sorry you have encountered this kind of problem. Usually this means a malfunction with windows or there is a bad area on the disk. Do you by chance have a windows disk at all? Also what is the make of the computer and the model number please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, sorry for slow reply.
I don't have windows disk.
It's a Fujitsu life book A series,model AH531
No problem and do you keep back ups of your important data by chance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have a fairly recent back up on portable hard drive.
OK follow these instruction and let me know what happens it should allow the recovery program to run.

1 Turn on or reboot your system. When the Fujitsu logo appears, press [F12] key.

2 Cursor down to and press the [Enter] key.

3 While the files are being loaded from the disc, a progress bar will appear at the bottom of the screen.

4 When the System Recovery Options dialog opens, select a new keyboard layout, if necessary, then click [Next].

5 When the Operating System dialog appears, select “Use recovery tools...”, then click [Next].

6 If necessary, enter your password, then click [OK].

7 When System Recovery Options window appears, click on Recovery and Utility.

8 The Recovery and Utility screen appears on the screen with three tabs: Diagnostics, Recovery and Utility. Please note that Diagnostics tab is not supported on certain LifeBook/Stylistic models when running Recovery and Utility from the hard disk. In order to restore the operating system
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay when I use the f12 key the boot menu gives me 3 options.
1 drive
2 cd/DVD
3 network
So I cursor down to 2 and enter, it jusT returns to boot menu.
Ok so when pushing the F12 key there is not option at all for recovery and utility?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No just those 3options.
If I use the f2 key I get mure options.
I can get boot menu from there with 3more options.
Floppy disk drive
USB HDD
USB CD/DVD
That means that utility is not available from boot at all. You didn't by chance burn the recovery software when you first purchased the machine did you? How long have you had this machine?
If you don't have that software there is a way to get it. If you don't mind me asking how long have you had this machine so far?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There was no recovery software with the machine .
It was recommended to make a recovery disk from new . I could not seem to do that at the time.I think CD I tried was too small .
I bought the laptop new about 2years ago.
As I said I have a recent back up on portable USB hard drive.
The back up is only going to restore files not recovery the operating system or correct a disk error. This is what you are going to need. First you will need to contact Fujitsu so they can send you the hard copy of the recovery software. You will be able to load the disk and then restart and it would fully restore the machine like nothing ever happened. However if it's doesn't auto load which it should just push F12 and choose the CD drive. Do you have a cd drive for this machine by chance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it has a cd drive
Good then it should auto detect so in case it would not just choose F12 and choose the cd/dvd drive. Usually you can contact them at +44 (0)(###) ###-####remember ask them for the factory reset software hard copy. This will correct the problem.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please don't leave negative feedback, Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated! You will be getting a survey on my assistance and information It would be greatly appreciated to let my Superiors know how I am doing thank you and please try and have a good day.