Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field
37817776

My mac OSX version 10.9.4 upgrade recently updated on the 05/07/2014

My mac OSX version 10.9.4 upgrade recently updated on the 05/07/2014 is not compatible now with my western digital external disk storage unit.
How can compatibility be restored.
Is there a basic software fault in the WD operating software.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 years ago.

My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I see that you have been working on this problem for quite a bit of time.

No extra charge:
Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please set up remote link

Please, click the following link and choose to run the remote application: http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=86807755-242d-4559-a97a-6176708168ad&Type=Java

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have decided not to proceed further as unhappy with remote control security.

Oh okay.

I am confused.

I have been waiting for you at the remote window.

I have remoted into computers a few hundred thousand times with no issues.

What is the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jason,

I am concerned about the probable loss of data. Will the data only be erased from the WD disk and the data on the Mac be retained? Please advise!

I have investigated further using the Disk Utility application and the following found on the journaled MY Book:-

"OSX can't repair the disk on my book "

You can still open or copy files on the disk,but you can't save changes

to the files on the disk"

"Back up the disk and re format it as soon as possible.

Hope this is of help my apology for the confusion.

Hello Bruce,

This is why I offered the remote service.

Please, do not do anything with the drive. If you make the wrong change, you may lose data.

I will be online and available for the next 16 hours.

I will be standing by.

- Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jason we are back on line!

Hello.

Are you are ready for the remote link?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jason -Yes

Please, click the following link and choose to run the remote application: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=57394596-3849-4e39-92a7-d6d1d6b1b805

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

I wish you luck,
- Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Jason,

No goals today !

I feel that the latest Apple software is not compatible with

Western Digital software have you any comment on this aspect?

Regards Bruce

Expert:  Omer replied 2 years ago.
Bruce quick question about your My Book I thought it might be helpful to chime in are you connecting to the mac with a firewire or through usb cable?

Also have you tried the other connection type?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mac connected to router via USB cable and external WD connected to Mac to USB port.

Firewall was set and now turned off for incoming connections!

Would this have been the cause of Jason attempts not suceeding

Expert:  Omer replied 2 years ago.
It's possible, there have been issues with the 10.9.4 update I have seen with the MyBooks, and 9 out of 10 times I was able to make it work by switching the connection type or turning on a setting.

Are you now able to use your device?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Omer,

I am unable to use the device.

Expert:  Omer replied 2 years ago.
Ok so your Mybook connects to your computer by USB
Have you then tried using the Firewire connection type?? Basically you need to try the option that you werent using to connect previously.

It is still possible there is corruption in your Mybook causing it not to work. Its either that or an issue in the connection to your mac which is making it unreadable.

This is why you should try the other type usually it has been an issue with the Firewire port, and switching to USB has helped in a number of instances.

So please make sure that you have tried both options for connecting your My Book
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience: MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field