Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

GA: I need to solve an algebra problem contained in a formula.

Customer Question

I need to solve an algebra problem contained in a formula. can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  boxfrederick replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am here to assist you.

I have been thru advanced mathematics and have a degree in programming so its possible I can help, let me know as much information as you can.

Formula your goal, with the formula?
The specific part of the algebraic problem you think is causing the issues.

Let me know thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In a formula m= r(to the power2)h over a thick line called a vinculum below which we have 1-r(to the power3) over square root sign containing r(to the power2) +d(to the power2) squared. Express the formula in terms of d.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is the problem regarding the vinculum? I'm not sure how you deal with the vinculum

which I think you have to tackle first before moving on to the other calculations.

Yup was looking into it or more like getting into it right now i can let you know in about an hour if I can break this, I do understand vinculum lines and yeah its pretty advanced math im checking the algorithm and formula for faults and how it all matches up.

Let you know soon, thank you.
I cant come up with a solution that solves for d ill opt out let another expert assist you ill keep working on this see if I cant figure out what im missing(a step or calculating formula improperly).
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 years ago.
My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.
I have a few semesters of Advanced Calculus under my belt and look forward to helping you.
Please, use proper notation and explain what the formula is again.
As far as I can tell, the formula you describe is shown below. Is this correct?
m = ((r^2)h/(1-r^3)) / (((r^2)+(d^2))^2)^1/2
Would you be able to take a picture of the formula or draw it and upload a picture of it for me to see?
I wish to get the correct formula before I start working on this.
Is this the equation you are needing help with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. There are 2 corrections to the question as you have stated it. The 1 is to the left followed by the minus sign, it is between the 2 other terms. the bottom term is (r(to the power2 +d(to the power2) and this term is to the power of 3.

Expert:  Zoe-cssm replied 2 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.co.uk/computer/8kj5j-need-solve-algebra-problem-contained-formula.html
Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
The correction you sent does not match the first description.
Please, write out the formula and take a photo of it.
You can then upload the file here.
Please, be forewarned that the site is not secure:
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jason

I've taken a picture of the formula and have loaded it to wikisend. The reference is 442958, and just to clarify it is Question 1-formula relating to magnetism.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Tony XXXXXXXX

This is Homework.
Sorry, but I am not in the Homework category.
I will have it placed in that category.
When a homework expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 years ago.

Fred-

My name is***** you for giving me the opportunity to answer your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

Many thanks to Jason for introducing the exponential notation and to both of you for clarifying the formula with a photograph of it from your algebra book, using the wikisend file sharing service.

I HAVE SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM, AND I WILL PROVIDE THE ANSWER HERE IN TYPEWRITTEN FORM AS FOLLOWS:

d = {[m^2/3-(m-hr^2)^2/3]^1/2}/(m-hr^2)^1/3

HOWEVER, I AM SURE THAT YOUO ARE MORE INTERESTED IN THE SOLUTION THAN THE ANSWER, SO I WILL PROVIDE MY TWO- PAGE HANDWRITTEN SOLUTION, WHICH I HAVE SCANNED TO A FILE.

I have used the fractional exponents 1/n in place of the nth radical throughout.

Attachment: 2014-07-28_091900_algebra_solution.pdf

I AM CONFIDENT THAT I HAVE SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM. NOW I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD GIVE ME AN EXCELLENT RATING.

I only get compensated for my services when I receive a positive rating.

-Joel

THIS IS THE ORIGINAL EQUATION THAT I HAVE SOLVED, USING THE SAME EXPONENTIAL NOTATION:

m = hr^2/[1-r^3/(r^2 + d^2)^3/2]

MAY I PLEASE HAVE YOUR POSITIVE RATING FOR MY SERVICE, SO THAT I CAN BE COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME AND EFFORT.

Hello again,

I apologize for providing your answer so late, but I did not receive your question until many days after you submitted it. I assume that you have lost interest, because the due date for your homework assignment has passed. However, I have asked the moderator to reopen this question, so that it would be available to you when you are reviewing the material and studying for your exams.

The method of my solution is instructive, because it demonstrates how to manipulate fractional exponents to solve difficult algebraic equations. It also demonstrates the use of substitution of variables, which in this case it was not essential to the solution of the problem, although it did simplify the intermediate equations.

I only ask for you to rate my services, so that I may be compensated for my knowledge and experience in this area. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your answer. I have mislaid the book that contained the question as well as the answer. From memory I don't think your answer tallied with the answer in the book. What I'll do when I find the book is to take a photo of the page containing the answer and upload it to the wikisend.com website then forward the file ID reference number to you.

Thank you for returning to this reopened question. I will check my answer by plugging it into the original formula and solving for an identity. If both sides of the resulting equation are the same, that will prove that my answer is correct.

When I finish doing the calculations by hand, I will scan my work into a file and send it to you. This should resolve the question without having to resort to your textbook. Then you can give me a rating, so that I may be compensated for my work.

I HAVE CHECKED THE SOLUTION, AND IT IS CORRECT.

I am attaching the file showing my work. If you have trouble following it, I would urge you to work on it yourself, because, as I have already said, the answer is not as important as learning how to do the algebra with fractional exponents yourself.

Attachment: 2014-08-11_013512_check_solution.pdf

SINCE I HAVE SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM, I WOULD APPRECIATE A GOOD OR AN EXCELLENT RATING. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING.

LET ME TRY ANOTHER APPROACH. IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH FRACTIONAL EXPONENTS, I CAN SOLVE THE PROBLEM AGAIN FOR YOU USING RADICALS.

I WILL SEND YOU ANOTHER FILE WITH THE ALTERNATE SOLUTION. PERHAPS IT WILL BE MORE RECOGNIZABLE TO YOU AND EXACTLY LIKE THE ANSWER YOU SAW IN YOUR TEXTBOOK.

Attachment: 2014-08-11_211514_radical_algebra.pdf

Experience: I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE POSITIVE RATING! I REALLY, REALLY APPRECIATE IT. IF I CAN HELP YOU WITH YOUR ALGEBRA IN THE FUTURE, PLEASE RETURN TO THE JUST ANSWER WEBSITE. YOU CAN ASK FOR ME BY NAME.

-JOEL KALMAN