Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

Was offline yesterday. TalkTalk telephone help put me back

Customer Question

Was offline yesterday. TalkTalk telephone help put me back online - went through all connections and routers. However, my broadband download speed now is between 2 and 3 mbps/sec. Only this computer connected. (Used to be order of magnitue higher.) Give me back my higher speeds. Can you help? Or should I phone
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello Max! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed network / computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. What is the model of your internet/wireless modem/router device?

If you have another computer, does it affect also?

Does this issue occur with wireless or wired connection? or both?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

{1}modem/router device. TalkTalk 3745A4 + white BT openreach box - presumably fibreoptic?

[2] Have 3 computers and all have same problem (Other two switched off at the moment - but still have identical ptoblem with this one.}

[3} Wireless (3 computers in family ) - always had respectable speed, untill TalkTalk phone help.

Since it affects all computers, it looks like the issue with your BT box and/or your internet connection line/service, but let's try some test.

There is only one BT / internet box box right? Is there any other device connected to the BT box?

1. Can you disconnect the power cord from the BT box for a few minutes, then reconnect, and check?

2. Is it possible to remove the BT box for now, then connect a computer to the TalkTalk box directly, then check internet speed?

3. Can you turn off wireless on the computer, then connect an Ethernet/network cable from the computer to the BT box, and test wired internet connection speed?
http://www.speedtest.net/

We've been communicating, but it looks like you are not there; when you are available, please reply back at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Had some delays

(1) One internet box no other device connected

(2) Disconnecting power no effect

(3) BUT WIRED CONNECTION GAVE OVER 4O MB/S - so thanks to Viet?

So I guess its a wireless connection problem, but why now suddenly, and what can I doo about it as multiple family computers all over house? Cant wire them all.

Thank you. This confirms your internet line/service is fine as wired connection speed is fine. The issue is with wireless hardware and/or software with the BT box since all computers have issue with wireless speed. Did TalkTalk try to reset your BT router box previously (there is usually a reset button on the router, but do not try it yourself)? Can you check with TalkTalk to see if there is any firmware update for your BT modem/router box?

Thank you.,