Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

My ex employee is accusing me of sending an e mail via g mail. The

Customer Question

My ex employee is accusing me of sending an e mail via g mail.
The e mail received had my IP address on.
I did not send the e mail and nor did anyone else in our household.
We are on virgin media and a dynamic ip address however we do have a network code that we input to access our router.
Many staff had received g mails from me when I worked there so they would have access to my ip address.
Also, staff have been in my house to work and I have provided them with our password ***** access the internet.
I asked the question, paid the money and now been advised to seek technical advice.
Basically, in order to prove my innocence I need to know if it is possible, no matter how technical, for someone to send an e mail, via google mail, using my ip address.
If this is possible then I will seek advice on how to prove this.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

Is the employee saying that they received an email from a gmail account and from that email traced it back to your IP?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. They posted an e mail on a staff site that all staff have the password *****

Someone responded to the e mail (most unfavourable I presume) though I do not know what it said.

My employer said the e mail has been sent using my ip address but I did not send this e mail they have traced the ip address back to me.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
What does this mean? "They posted an e mail on a staff site that all staff have the password *****"

So was this not just a direct email sent from one email account to another?

Was it posted on some sort of website?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The company have a g mail account for staff:

Example: *****@******.***

All staff have the password ***** can access this through google mail.

The manager posted an e mail out.

One of the staff replied. (As I say it must have been unfavourable)

I have received a letter from the company saying the e mail must have been sent from me as they traced the IP address to my house.

On the day in question there was 3 adults (family members) in my house. None of us sent the e mail - the time it was sent we were all asleep in bed.

The following day I tried to access my Hotmail account and it said I had been trying to change my password, then I went through security to reset.

I need to know if it possible for someone to send an e mail using my ip address - this must have happened - however - manager is saying this is not possible.

First

I now need to prove this is possible

Second

Find someone that can prove this

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if I am understanding correctly multiple people access the same Gmail account?

If this is correct then yes it is possible to see the IP from where the account was logged in from.

Gmail will log the last 10 IPs that the account was accessed from. Here is how this information can be viewed:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/45938?hl=en

That being said if this was not a company Gmail account and a personal account they would not be able to trace the IP to your house because Gmail hides the original senders IP address , more info here:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/26903?hl=en

Now as for if it's possible for someone to use your IP, yes it is, they would need access to your internal home network though. If they were connected to your home network than the IP would look like it was from your home.

As for your hotmail account, if you received an alert that someone was trying to change your password ***** it was not you then this is a good indication that someone was trying to break in. It is not going to be possible to say who it was but could indicate that something suspicious is happening.

It is a tricky situation because even if though it's technically possible for someone to use your IP how can you prove that, that is what happened, you cannot.

If you were to be fired for this and you did not do what they are saying then you would probably hire a lawyer who would then provide you with a technical expert and it would be sorted out that way. IP addresses can be faked (see here) and people can use your network so saying that you definitely did something because it shows your IP is not 100% proof positive, there is more to it than that. Many courts have said that an IP address is not enough to positively identify someone, do a google search on the subject and you will find many articles stating this.

I am not a lawyer so I don't know the legal end but the short answer is that it is possible for someone to make something appear that it came from your IP in more than one way.

Proving it will be difficult and you would likely need a local technician to look into, someone who can see how you all have this set up.

Remember I just have to go by what you have told me but there could be more to this than you know and they may have more evidence on their end that you may not be aware of.

I hope this sheds some light on this situation for you. Please take a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the smiley faces below. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time.

Thanks,
Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My ip address was listed the top of the last ten received on the account, this is how they have traced it.

You say

So you are saying that this can be done in more than one way -

are you able to advise any ways that this could be done

I have left the company but it is my name that I want to clear and my reputation.

If you cannot help any further could you suggest what I could/should do next to prove that this is possible, A lawyer is my resort due to the expense.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Someone could have logged in from inside your home network, that is one way but won't be possible to prove most likely.

The other way is they spoofed your IP. This means that they changed their IP to look like yours. This is not easy to do and someone would need a large amount of skill in networking to do this.

Again I do not know how you would go about proving you didn't do this. In the same way they cannot prove with 100% certainty that you did this you cannot prove that you didn't. There would be no way.

You said above that all staff have been to your home so it would be possible that someone posted from your house I suppose but again you wouldn't really have anyway to prove it.

I think if you did take legal action on this they would not have anyway to prove 100% that you did this considering the information you told me.

But again based on this information you have stated there is no technical way to prove that you did not do this.

The facts are someone appearing to be from your home IP address did this. But I don't thing you or them can prove without a doubt that one of you is telling the truth.

I can only tell you the technical end of things and the short answer is neither of you can say 100% yes or no that you did or did not do this based off the info.

Your next step depending on how far you want to push this would be to speak to a lawyer. This website does have employement lawyers you can speak to here
www.justanswer.com/employment-law

You may want to ask them a question as it is much cheaper than speaking to a lawyer in person.

So in conclusion, yes it is possible for someone to use your IP from a technical stand point and this is why having someones IP address is not proof positive that a specific person performed an action online. But on the other hand you have no way to technically prove that it was not you.

Thanks,
Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you know how they would have traced the ip address to me?

From what I have read they need a subpoena or warrant from the police to contact my internet service provider and I have not head from the police or internet provider.

I will contact the employment lawyers.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

If you signed into the gmail account it would show your IP so that is where they got it. Then there are many free tools online to trace an IP address such as http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/

You do not get an exact street address when you trace an IP. At best you get the town that the IP address is located in but this is not always 100% accurate so yet this is another reason that they cannot say this was 100% you.

Like I said above many judges have said that an IP address alone is not enough to indentify an individual.

I would think if they wanted to fire you they used the IP as an excuse because there is no way that they can say with 100% certainty that you did this based off the IP alone.

Please remember to rate my service positively which is how I receive credit for my time spent with you.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
It was my pleasure assisting you with your question. I just wanted to follow up and see how everything is going and if you needed help with anything else. If you do not please rate my service by clicking on a smiley face.
Thanks,
Chris