Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

I am going round in circles here and cannot get to a place

I am going round in circles here and cannot get to a place where I can learn how to reset the Windows 8 password ***** my brother. We cannot access his laptop so we need to do this from my laptop.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Is your brother's Windows 8 password ***** on an email address like this and are you getting the same message?:

graphic

Or, does his login screen only display a username and a place to enter the password?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Screen is as you show with his email address and a place for his password.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Is the computer offline as shown in the message in the picture?

Or, after entering the password ***** you told it is not correct?

Can your brother, from your laptop, log in and view his email using the same password ***** uses to log in to his laptop?

If the password ***** is no good for the email account displayed on the screen it can be reset here: https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx

If the computer is OFFLINE, plug the laptop into your router with a network cable and restart it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thgank you. I have tried on this site and they have sent a message to say they have had too nmany requests to reset and I have to wait 24 hours now to try again. I fell as if we will never get him back in to this expensive peice of equipment! I will wait 24 hours and get back to you if I have no success then.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He cannot remember the password ***** all but he would have used the same as for his e-mail I think. So he cannot access his mail either. The machine is switched off all together at present.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Please let me know what happens after the 24 hours ends. There are other ways to get into the machine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Microsoft have asked me to complete yet another information form which I duly did and submitted it and they promptly came back and asked for another. This must be the fifth or sixth of these I have completed. I did the next one and they have sent a message saying that they will not let me back in and have closed the request. They advise I create a new account.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry for your issue with Microsoft.

Unfortunately there is no way to recover or reset a password ***** on an email address. (unless Microsoft does it)

I can still help you gain access to the machine. You'll need to create a bootable CD to start the laptop and unlock the hidden administrator account.

Then a new user account will need to be created. It's a somewhat lengthy process but I'll be more than happy to walk you through this. You'll need an internet-connected PC/laptop with a CD burner and a blank CD to create the disk.

I live on the East coast US and you're approximately 5 hours ahead of me. Let me know if you want to schedule a time to do this. I can connect to you remotely, walk you through the disk creation, help you boot the other machine and unlock the Administrator account, then connect to that laptop and create the new user account.

Once connected to you remotely we will be able to chat real-time instead of going back and forth on these pages.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for this. Is this an expensive process? I need to speak to my brother if it is going to cost him.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

It doesn't cost extra. It's included in the price of the question. There is another, less time consuming, option. The laptop, if it originally came with Windows 8, can be reset to it's out of box factory state and a new user account created. One possible drawback is that any data not previously backed up will be lost and all software that didn't originally come with the machine would need to be re-installed. Ask your brother which option most appeals to him.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I know! He has photos from trips to Cambodia and family memories on the machine - which was the main reason why we bought it for him. Never thought it would cause such a ruckus!! Thanks for your help. I will get a rewritable CD and get ready for your call. I am here all day today as I have hurt my back and am out of commission and resting. Let me know what time you want to do this.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. My schedule today will have me away from the computer most of today. I'm afraid that by the time I am free it will be very late there (10PM or later). Could we do it at this time tomorrow?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That would be great. It is 11.00am here now so shall we say same time tomorrow?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

That works for me. I would also recommend using a non-rewritable blank disk. If a re-writable is the only thing available, we'll try it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a non rewriteable also. do I need to format the disk in any way?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Formatting won't be necessary. It should work as is.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tomorrow then.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Certainly. Please don't respond to this message. Unless I am the last to respond I receive a constant reminder from JA to do so and am also locked out from responding to other questions until I do.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Good morning. Below are the connection instructions. If you haven't already, please put your blank disk in the drive.

Click the link below to start the connection download.
-
http://tinyurl.com/RapidSupport
-
Wait for the download to begin.
(may take several moments depending on connection speed)
-
Click Run/Open when prompted.
-
When the program has installed a window will open giving you a 9 digit ID and a 4 or 6 digit password.
Please post those numbers in the Reply box below, using the same spacing.
I need them so I can connect to you.
-
You can then minimize the TeamViewer window (please do not close it).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

266 304 286

6164

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

My screen locked up. Not sure why. I may have to disconnect if I can't get it to respond.

Please hold

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

I'm disconnecting now. Please click the rapid support link again. It will give you a new

password. Please post it below.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's asking me to buy a licence?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Skip it/Not now/Later
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will not let me choose to do that. Says Buy now only

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Close anything related to Teamviewer and go here: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

-

Click the white link that says: "Join Remote Control Session"

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

266 304 286

8121

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

I'm getting the same screen lockup.

We can try a different program. Go here: https://join.me

Run the program. A 9 digit number will appear at the top center of your screen.

Please post that below and I will attempt to connect using that program.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No instructions on this message!

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

On the JoinMe page click Start Meeting and allow the program to run when prompted.

When it is done you should then see the numbers box appear at the top center of your screen. Please post those below.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

XXX -XXXX-XXX

I'm not usually this stupid - must be having a bad day!!!

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
I need to be allowed control.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Good morning! Let's use Join Me again so we can chat. Please go here:

https://join.me

and click Start Meeting and post the connection numbers below.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

I found a technical support bulletin from Toshiba describing how their computers that came with Windows 8 require some changes to the system BIOS to allow the machine to boot from an external drive or CD/DVD disk.

This article leads me to believe that the disks we created yesterday are good and the only thing needed to get them to work is to make the changes described here: http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03F30002R01.htm

Since I am unable to remote in and make the changes myself I'll need you to implement the changes. We can do this during a chat session to make things easier.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I admire your faith in my capabilities! I will do my best.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
We can do this while chatting in Join Me. Send me the numbers to connect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

already sent but here they are

XXX-XXX-XXX

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Amen.

Reply back here if any follow-up questions.

If you need help moving the files and can get the laptop online I can remote in and assist.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have moved his stuff into the Library area and then he can choose what to do with them if he needs to.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
That's a good idea. Everyone organizes things, not just their computers, to their own liking.