Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

Hi, I have an ASUS Z97 Pro motherboard and am running Windows

I have an ASUS Z97 Pro motherboard and am running Windows 8.1.
I have installed the ASUS utility "ASUS AI Suite III" but it fails to run.
Error message is "Access violation at address 037F3978 in module "dip4.dll". Read of address FFFFFFF7"
The first address quoted changes each time I attempt to run the software, remainder stays unchanged.
No help from ASUS except suggestion to do a clean re-install of windows!
Any ideas gratefully received.
Regards,
***** *****
Category: Computer
Expert:  Wes replied 3 years ago.
Wes :

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Please favorite or bookmark this page so you can return here if we get disconnected.

Wes :

Hi David, if ASUS can't help... that doesn't bode well for a positive resolution. Essentially what you are looking at for solving this is you can try reinstalling windows as they suggested... which may or may not help. The other thing I suggest (and these are the steps I would take if I were in the same position) is make sure you test the computer's memory with a suitable utility like Memtest86+, etc... Even if this is a new build, it's possible that you have defective memory which can cause strange issues like this. Another thing you can do is try to re-download the utility. It's possible that it got slightly corrupted during download. I have also noticed that a surprising number of component manufacturers are having issues with the move from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. A huge array of drivers, components, etc... don't work properly with 8.1 and the manufacturers have been rather slow in fixing those issues. It may be that this program simply doesn't like 8.1 and needs to be updated.

Having used ASUS boards in the past (and they are probably my favorite MB manufacturer) I try to avoid installing all of their goofy proprietary utilities unless they're absolutely necessary. I don't think the AI suite is really required for proper operation of the computer, so I would avoid it for now if it's not working right for you.

Wes :

I see you've disconnected. When you would like to continue our conversation, type a response in the box below and hit the reply button. I will be sent a message that you have reconnected and I will reconnect to you as soon as I can. Bear in mind that I am located in the United States (Central Time) and if you are in a different time zone, that may affect response times and availability.

Customer:

Hi Wes,

Wes :

Hi David

Customer:

Thank you for your reply.

Customer:

I have tried both the utility which came with the motherboard and downloaded the version from the website. As far as I can see, they are the same version and both give the same problem. You are correct, this is a new build and I did test the memory as soon as the basic computer was up and running. The memory is OK. It looks to me that I either ignore AI Suite III or start from scratch and do a clean re-install.

Wes :

I would ignore it, unless you really want to do a reload

Customer:

No, I don't want to do a reload! I'll simply ignore the utility.

Wes :

That's what I'd do too

Customer:

Sorry to appear mercenary, but will I be charged for this advice?

Wes :

only if you want to be. If you're not satisfied, you don't need to

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** complete the conversation now.

Wes :

If you want you can e-mail***@******.*** for questions on payment/refunds etc

Customer:

Thanks for that.