JamesI
JamesI, Consultant
Experience:  20 years managing and supporting IT infrastructures from end users through to design of cloud based systems.
75967336

I cannot remember my Windows 7 password ***** I do not have a

I cannot remember my Windows 7 password ***** I do not have a password ***** disk, can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
James.I :

James.I :

Did you set a security question for your windows password?

James.I :

There are a number of ways you can reset your windows password ***** require you to still have the windows 7 installation disk, do you have that?

Also do you have any other accounts setup on windows?

Customer:

No I did not.

James.I :

Ok, so to confirm you do not have any other accounts setup on windows, and you dont have the windows CD which came with the machine

Customer:

I do not have any other accounts set up as far as I'm aware (I live on my own).

Customer:

I still have the CD that I installed Windows 7 with

James.I :

excellent one second ill give you instructions, they are rather lengthy but work 90% of the time

James.I :

the other 10% are due the version of patches \ service packs which have been installed on the system

James.I :

Ok, do you have the system in front of you now?

James.I :

If so you need to reboot and keep pressing F8 on the top of your keyboard until you get a message saying advanced startup

James.I :

From here you need to select Repair Your Computer

James.I :

Please let me know once you have got this far, and ill explain the next steps

Customer:

I don't if this has any relevance, but I received about 150 updates about 2 weeks ago, which took forever to download and install, and since then I've been locked out of my desktop.

James.I :

Ok, try the above and let me know how far you get

Customer:

I have selected Repair Your Computer and it says 'windows is loading files...

James.I :

ok it can take 5 mins to load thats a good sign

James.I :

Let me know once that has loaded

Customer:

I have just selected UK English and it is now asking for system recovery options

James.I :

Ok, do you see one which says command line prompt

James.I :

Normally last one on the list, click that and a new black window should load

Customer:

It says to access command prompt, I must logon using an adminstrator account....and of course I cannot logon...because it refuses to recognise my password!

James.I :

ok, give me a few mins

Customer:

It is giving me the option of choosing one of two 'usernames' the first is 'HomeGroupUser$' and the other is my own username

James.I :

homegroupuser$ is a hidden account thats of no use, one of the patches you recently download as added this additional security layer. Im just looking at an alternative option, do you have a spare USB stick ?

James.I :

Ok, restart your machine again, this time press F8 and choose "Safe Mode With Command Prompt"

Customer:

Yes, but I don't how to use these things...I'm a 58 year old woman just getting to grips with computers. I know that my niece used one to 'boost' my computer another one to copy somehing or other, I still have both of them!

James.I :

Thats fine, I can talk your through step by step but knowing you have one available opens up more options.

James.I :

So if you can restart your machine again, keep pressing F8 and choose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt that may be another way to get us to where we want to be

Customer:

It has brought up the logon screen with my username

James.I :

And you selected the safe mode with command prompt not just safe mode?

Customer:

Yes I selected safe mode with command prompt

James.I :

And another black window didnt load?

Customer:

No, just a large logon screen

James.I :

Right we have one of two options now
1. The machine your talking to me on is this a second laptop\PC or is it a tablet?

James.I :

If its a PC we can download some software and reset your password ***** the machine your using now

James.I :

2. We download software to create a usb boot disk, which you put into your PC you forgot the password ***** and then can reset the password *****

Customer:

I'm using a sick laptop, whose mouse cursor freezes at will

James.I :

Ok thats fine, is that using windows XP?

Customer:

No, its using Windows Vista

James.I :

Ok no problem

James.I :

Ok do you have any blank CD's you can burn on?

Customer:

Yes I've blank CDs but I don't how to burn them!

James.I :

Ok this is all good

James.I :

Right lets try with the USB stick first, can you plug it into the sick laptop

James.I :

Next I need you to go to My Computer and open up the contents of the USB stick

James.I :

Let me know what drive the USB stick is in, it should be on E:\ (at a guess)

Customer:

Where do I find 'My Computer'?

James.I :

If you need me to be a little more explicit please let me know, its not a problem

James.I :

You can find My Computer normally on your desktop

James.I :

if you minimise this window it should say "My Computer" under what appears to be a Computer icon

James.I :

If its not there, it can be found in the start menu, press the start button at the bottom left and see if it its listed on the menu

James.I :

If you prefer we can do a screen sharing session so I can see your screen rather than you having to explain what you see?

James.I :

Please click this link https://broker.gotoassist.com/h/ao?Question=DR884-367-312
You may be asked to download \ run some software click Ok, and then click the option to run the software.

James.I :

This will allow me to see you screen and it should allow me to make it a little easier on you

Customer:

I found it via the start menu! The USB stick has 2 letters using 18KB & 19 KB out of 32GB.

James.I :

Right there should be one letter in brakets like (D) or (e)

James.I :

Its ok I can see you clicked the remote support link so once you accept to run the software I should be able to find what I need

JamesI, Consultant
Experience: 20 years managing and supporting IT infrastructures from end users through to design of cloud based systems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

James.I, I have rated your service and paid a bonus, for the time and effort that you put in trying to resolve my problem, once again thank you very much.

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.

I am glad you felt I provided excellent service, I am sorry we couldnt get your password unlocked, however to help prevent a recurrence in the future please follow the instructions on the website here.

Have a good day.

James

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

James.I, I have managed to get to a screen on my desktop labelled 'System Recovery Options' and one of the options it has is ,'Command Prompt' , but I don't know what to do next....I'm afraid to select it in case something goes wrong again, can you help?

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
Hi sorry for the delay in getting back to you, that sounds good news indeed.

First of all type: "net user" in the command prompt. It should show you the user accounts setup on your machine.

If you get an error let me know, if that works follow the instructions on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgTHcRumqqU

By all means come back to me if you need anything guidance, and would be very interested to know how you got the command prompt open and how you get on...good luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm typing 'net user' (without quotes) and it says the following:-

User account for \ \

Adminstrator Guest

The command completed with one or more errors.

And it doing the same thing each time I type net user and press enter.

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so the username your changing is administrator

You should be ok to proceed with the video.

James
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

James.I, thanks very much for your kind assistance, but I think my age is defeating me, I'm 58 years old and new to computers! I've watched the video (with difficulties as the print on screen was very small!) and tried to do what was shown, but somehow failed to get the desired result, so I'm going to bed now, with a headache!! Do I have to pay you again for your help, and if so, I hope it is not too much?!

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
Hi, no there isnt a charge, just dont rate the service I have provided.
Happy to walk you through this in more detail on Monday if you prefer.
J
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi James.I
Thanks for getting back to me. I would appreciate you assisting me on Monday. Once again thank you and have a nice week-end!!

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
What time suits you monday?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll be available anytime after 10am, providing nothing happens to derail my plans, but as the saying goes 'the best made plans of mice and men....

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
Ok, if you login to this page at 10am I will send you a link for us to start another remote support session on your laptop and I can walk you through what you need to do on your desktop.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

James.I, I'm sorry that I did not contact you as promised on Monday, but

I had an electricity safety check, which left me without any electricity for most of the morning, after which I went out and did return until very late at night!!

I am available now, if you are still able to assist me.