JamesI
JamesI, Consultant
Experience:  20 years managing and supporting IT infrastructures from end users through to design of cloud based systems.
75967336

iPad charging issue on iLuv workstation

Why doesn't my ipad 3 charge on my iLuv workstation yet charges on anything else. It did charge until this week but has stopped! I have put anther ipad on the same workstation and it charges.... (It is an ipad 2) there seems no logic to this. All other features of the station works just not the charging of the ipad 3 yet the same ipad 3 charges on any other device or connector.
PLEASE NOTE ENTERED EMAIL IS INCORRECT!
Should read***@******.***.. Tried to amend system won't let me - already used email???
Category: Computer
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.

Hi this could be the socket not making very good contact and just over time got worse.

If its charging OK on other cables etc its not the IPAD, when you put it on the dock, give it a wiggle does it show any signs as about to charge (ie the battery icon show the charging icon) even for a second?

The IPAD 3 also does require a high charging current than IPOD's and the older IPADs, so it mayb be the charging circuit is starting to fail and cant produce enough current to charge the IPAD, thats why you cant charge the IPAD3 from a laptop USB for example.

Have you tried a friend or family members IPAD 3 on the device as this would rule out an electrical fault on the dock itself?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No indication of charging when wiggling iPad .
I do not have access to another iPad 3 to try
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
Ok, we can try a power cycle on the IPAD3.

Let the unit fully drain down so when you turn it on it only displays the empty battery icon, then leave it docked on the unit for a few hours and see if its showing any signs of charging.

If its still not charging it suggests to me the charging circuit on the dock is at fault, which would be uneconomical to repair.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try this thanks.
I tend to agree with your assumption about the workstation .
It didn't follow ang logical tests I carried out, but, I had assumed the iPad 2 and 3 were the same (charging/power). So my reasoning was wrong.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.

No problem, alot of people have burnt out apple charges by thinking the IPod charger would charge the IPAD etc, in terms of the IPAD 3 it does use more power, due to the screen and processor needing a bigger battery and by needing that it needs a bigger power supply.
I would appreciate if you can rate the level of service you have received today.
Have a good evening

J