Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I have an Olivetti ECR 7100 cash register. I dont know what

Customer Question

I have an Olivetti ECR 7100 cash register. I don't know what I have done, but I obviously pressed the wrong keys when entering some items into the register. Although the display is correct the till roll now displays a blob instead of the actual amounts put into the till. How can I reverse this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Michelle :

please try the below sequence

Michelle :

unplug the power cord of the cash register

Michelle :

press and hold down C and 3 key together

Michelle :

while these keys are being pressed at the same time plug in the power cord

Michelle :

this will perform a partial reset of the unit

Michelle :

once turned back on, check for the problem and let me know if it still repeats the same thing

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

Will this erase today's takings so far?

Michelle :

a partial reset just erases the working memory of the register and should not erase any stored data

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

OK I'll give it a go and get back to you - should take me 5 minutes or so

Michelle :

ok sure

Michelle :

i am online

Michelle :

let me know once you ahve done it

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

Unfortunately, that has made no difference

Michelle :

ok..let me check further

Michelle :

basically when you say it displays a blob, does it display on the screen or when printing out a receipt

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

the screen gives the correct amount entered - the till roll gives a blob

Michelle :

ok

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

I see from my manual that you have in fact instructed me to do a 'full reset' which 'erases the cash register's working memory and all totals and counters - c + 7 would have given a partial reset and just cleared the working memory - I hope you haven't got me to erase all the memories?

Michelle :

no i have just done a partial reset and not a full reset

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

so is my manual wrong? Partial reset C and 7, full reset C and 3

Michelle :

however it seems that the programming of the register has been corrupted

Michelle :

have you tried reprogramming the cash register

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

how do I do that?!

Michelle :

ok..well there are different ways you can program it

Michelle :

have you programmed this unit before or was it done preinstalled or by someone else

Michelle :

and also would like to know how old is this unit

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

no - it arrived and i plugged it in and away we went! we just use it in its simplest possible form - only using cash - no PLU's no departments. It is just over one year old

Michelle :

ok one thing i would liek to know

Michelle :

is it not printing the total amount or individual amounts as well

Michelle :

while you are replying back i have had a look at the user manual

Michelle :

have a look at page 17..under system options, it has many settings for not printing individual totals or gross totals

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

It is not printing anything legible at all - most of the time it looks like it is overprinting itself so it is an blob, sometimes there are some legible letters - but no numbers- e.g. BD X, BA NS, CK #. all over ion the far right of the till roll

Michelle :

now it seems that you have pressed some sequenec of buttons causing it to override all of these settings

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

we must have a different manual - my p17 has 'registering product quantity transactions'

Michelle :

oh ok

Michelle :

no problems..i refer to a generic manual usually

Michelle :

ok in this case we will have to reset the unit

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

I agree - but I didn't press many and I'm trying to find out how I can rectify the position - at the moment I have a completely useless Cash Register!!

Michelle :

please turn off and unplug the power cord

Michelle :

then keep the c and 7 key pressed and turn it back on

Michelle :

once done..we will have to do a second reset by turningback off and pressing the c and 3

Michelle :

then turn on and check

Michelle :

if still it repeats then either we have to do a full reset or its a program chip failure

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

ok - but I repeat my manual says partial reset C and 7, full reset C and 3 - your manual seems to have these the other way round - which is right?

Michelle :

see since this register is not working at all i will have to try both of them together

Michelle :

a partial plus a complete

Michelle :

i am not trying the 3rd one as of now

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

ok - I'll give it a go and report back!

Michelle :

yes

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

This has no effect - still get the same blob! Also I tried printing a programming report but got the same blobby response!

Michelle :

well in that case , as its not working at all, the only way would be to do a full reset because anyhow this unit is not operational at all

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

ok

Michelle :

if a full reset fails, the unit would need to be looked at by a service engineer for a possible programming fault

Michelle :

now this step is a last resort as other attempts seem to have failed

Michelle :

turn off and unplug power cord

Michelle :

now keep the c and 9 key pressed and at same time plug in power cord and turn on

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

As the machine only cost £84 in the fist place it would probably be a better bet to buy a new one!!

Michelle :

yes a repair would be costlier

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

ok - I'll try the full reset - presumably I will then need to re-programme?

Michelle :

yes

Michelle :

it would need to bereprogrammed

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

I presume I have the dial in 'REG' when I am doing all the operations?

Michelle :

yes

Michelle :

that is correct

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

Actually I think what I will do is leave this until the end of the day as at least it is working as a basic calculator and the staff can use it although in a very limited capacity. I fear that if I completely reset it it won't even work as a calculator - I would not be able to re-programme it while everything is going on around

Michelle :

yes that is fine

Michelle :

and in case a full reset too does not help then my suggestion would be to go in for a new unit than getting this one repaired

Michelle :

let me know if you have any questions

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

so how do we leave this now - the problem is still to some extent unresolved and 'in process' - shall I get back to you tomorrow, or later tonight to let you know how I get on?

Michelle :

yes sure you can let me know

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

What do I do about payment?

Michelle :

as you have not provided a rating yet , i am not getting any credit payment for this as of now

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

Does the system automatically time out after a while? How do I get back to you?

Michelle :

you may reopen this chat and post a reply back and once i get notified i will reply back

Michelle :

and one more thing

Michelle :

as you mentioned you got it fro 84 pounds

Michelle :

i found a cheaper deal for yopu

Michelle :

around 60 pounds including vat

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

That is cheaper - in fact the one I got last year was £61 + VAT so yours is definitely cheaper - does that include carriage?

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

The difference was till rolls!

Michelle :

i will share the link

Michelle :

you can have a look

JACUSTOMER-h77xqjw0- :

ok