Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I bought a toshiba lap top;serial no; 3E05951U. I bought it

Customer Question

I bought a toshiba lap top;serial no; 3E05951U. I bought it from argos about 4 months ago. Unfortunately , I haven't proof of purchase. My touch pad has stopped working and can only use it with "the mouse". Some one said I might need to configure the laptop. Any suggestion. Can you talk me through. 55 years of age. Not very computer literate/
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

Would you be able to tell the model of laptop you have? Toshiba makes many different models so if I know exactly which one that will help.

Also do you know which version of windows you are using? Is it windows 8?

Lastly how long has it been since the tough pad has worked?

Please let me know so I can further assist.
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris, where do you find the model number? Other answer is Windows 8.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
It depends, it may say so on the bottom, some popular models are the sattelite
P50 or C50, usually it is a letter followed by 50 or some other numbers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

C50-A-1JM. Touch pad not working for 3 days.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** common issue is that you simply turned off the touch pad.

Go ahead and locate the F5 key on the keyboard, it should be up towards the top. Press the F5 key and see if that enables the touchpad.

If it does not try pressing the F6 key on the keyboard but on most models F5 should turn it back on.

Please take a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the smiley faces below. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time if you need more help or that does not resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris, tried F5 and F6? Neither have worked. Can you tell me how to reconfigure the lap top. That's the suggestion from Toshiba?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, I was offline when you replied.

What I would suggest next is a system restore to a time before you had the problem.

Here is how you do that.

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.

Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.

Click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions. Make sure you choose a restore point which is at least a couple of days before when the touch pad stopped working.

Once it finishes it will restart and when it does try the touchpad again.
Thanks,
Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Chris. Touchpad up and running.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Excellent!

Great job following the instructions, if you ever need help in the future please let me know.
-Chris