Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Ive had my Sony reader for some 3 years and use it regularly

I've had my Sony reader for some 3 years and use it regularly for both purchased booked and books borrowed from the elibrary. But this week, when I attached the reader to the pc to upload my latest library selections, my pc says it can't see the device. Do you know what could be causing this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi this is Michelle and i will be assisting you today.

Michelle :

are you using gongle stand to connect the reader to the pc or you are using the usb cable supplied by the ereader

Customer:

USB cable

Michelle :

The computer does not detect the device due to following reasons, Bad cable, cable not connected properly to the computer and ereader end

Michelle :

and it could be a bad usb driver software on the computer

Michelle :

please let me know if you connect any other device on the usb port of teh computer, does the other device get detected

Customer:

Ereader says 'usb connected' so that end is seeing it. The PC says it doesn't recognise the device, so that end is seeing it too. What can be going wrong? Surely if the cable was at fault, one end or the other wouldn't register it at all?

Michelle :

please connect some other device like a falsh drive to the usb port of computer on which you are trying to connect the reader and check if other device gets detected

Customer:

Just seen your second part - yes other things do connect. Also I have tried all the usb ports, and get the same reply for the reader

Michelle :

when was the last time you connected the ereader and it worked fine on the pc

Customer:

About a week ago, used it for library books.

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

please let me know which version of windows are you using

Michelle :

xp, vista, windows 7 or 8

Customer:

I think probably windows 7 or 8. How can I tell?

Michelle :

click start...right click on computer and then properties

Michelle :

in the window that pops up it will be listed

Customer:

sorry.... right click on computer? Where do do mean?

Michelle :

do you see the start pearl button on your screen

Michelle :

on lower left

Customer:

windows icon, extreme bottom left?

Michelle :

yes

Michelle :

click on that

Michelle :

then right click on computer

Michelle :

then properties

Customer:

ok. Just gives me taskbar and start menu properties....

Michelle :

ok no problems

Michelle :

do you see the windows key on your keyboard

Michelle :

press that

Michelle :

and then right click on computer

Michelle :

then properties

Customer:

got it....Windows 7. It also says that my windows experience needs refreshing???

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

it seems that either the readers software need to be updated or device setting need to be corrected

Michelle :

would it be fine if i remote access and check the settings out

Customer:

I did wonder if I should press the default button on the reader but I'm afraid I will lose all the unread books and be unable to upload them again.

Michelle :

no dont do that

Customer:

What does remote accessing involve?

Michelle :

do you have any other computer or laptop to check if the ereader gets detected on it

Customer:

No

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

i can remote access your pc and check the settings

Michelle :

to do the same, please click on this link below

Michelle :

in the page that opens click on green start full version button

Michelle :

once installed let me know the id and password

Customer:

I'm not sufficiently pc savvy to understand what you are asking. It doesn't feel sensible to let someone I don't know roam around my pc. Excuse my suspicious nature, it stems from lack of understanding.

Michelle :

i completely understand

Michelle :

the only reason i asked you for remote access is the same

Michelle :

since you seem bit uncomfortable with performing the steps it would be faster if i remote access and check the settings

Michelle :

anyhow what we can do is restore your system back by a week when the ereader was working fine

Michelle :

have you made any major downloads on your oc in this week

Customer:

Yes, I can see it would be quicker for you to do it but I would prefer to be slow but sure if that's ok with you. Your instructions re finding out windows worked fine in the end. Plus I'm learning all the time.

Michelle :

yes

Michelle :

i will help you with the steps

Michelle :

i can help you run a system restore a week back when the reader was getting detected

Michelle :

but before we do that i would like to know have you made any major downloads on your computer in the last 1 week

Customer:

Major downloads ... I don't think so but we have been putting all our music into itunes to download to an ipod and/or tablet over the last couple of weeks. Some of that process may have postdated my last use of reader. Could that be it. Our daughter brought Samsung Kies programme into play for the purpose. Would that count as a download?

Michelle :

yes but kies can be downlaoded again

Michelle :

so i will give you the steps

Michelle :

click start...in the search box type system restore

in the window that appears, restore computer to earlier date and time and click next
select a date may be a week or 2 back when system was running fine and click next
follow the onscreen steps

Michelle :

once the restore completes your computer will restart

Michelle :

you can reopne this chat from your email

Michelle :

once restore completes, try using the ereader and let me know the status

Customer:

No go I'm afraid. Device still not recognised. I probably didn't go back far enough. I chose an automated restore point. Try again, going further back do you think?

Customer:

I've found more info from the 'failure to recognise' message now though. It says replace the device!

Customer:

r u still there?

Michelle :

i apologize for the delay

Michelle :

you can try few more dates using the system restore till it gets the system restore successful.

Customer:

So do you think that is the answer then? No problem with the reader itself? I'm loathe to risking losing other stuff without improving the reader issue. What about the message that said if another port doesn't work, get a new device?

Michelle :

if you have another computer try connecting the ereader to the other computer and let me know if the device gets detected on it or not

Customer:

Do I still have your full attention or is my time up?

Customer:

Sorry - messages crossed!

Michelle :

in system restore you will not loose anything no personal data email or photos gets lost.

Customer:

I don't have anything else to plug it into.

Customer:

What if I restore to before Itunes? will I lose all the cds I've downloaded. They took ages.

Michelle :

its a 100 % reversible we can select undo system restore by running it again if you are not satisfied with a successful restore point.

Customer:

OK. I'll try that then. Is that your last word? If that fails, get a new reader? Thank you for your help. I've learned a lot about my pc in the course of our chat.

Michelle :

see the restore step i have given is to check the pc settings

Michelle :

if you check ereader with another computer, then it will help us understand if the problem is with pc or reader

Customer:

OK. I'll have to do that some other time though. For now, thank you and goodbye!

Michelle :

if reader does not work on any other pc then its a clear indication that its a problem with the reader or the cable

Michelle :

sure

Michelle :

let me know if you have any questions

Customer:

Can I get back to you in the future? Save going over old ground with another expert.

Michelle :

you may click on a smiley face below if you are satisfied with my service and support

Michelle :

yes sure you can save this chat in your favorites

Michelle :

feel free to get back to me in future and i will be happy to assist

Customer:

I am satisfied. Even though the problem remains unresolved, I have a greater understanding of the technology.

Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors