Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

Hi, is it possible to establish if an MSExcel file contains

Customer Question

Hi, is it possible to establish if an MSExcel file contains formula that have been copied and paste in from a separate file? I seem to remember a way to do this in dos many years ago but don't know if it is still possible nowadays? Thanks, Andrea
Category: Computer
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 3 years ago.
JoelK :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

Customer:

That's great Joel. I look forward to receiving your advice.

JoelK :

I know a lot about Excel. I have worked with formulas, and I have worked with copying them from cell to cell and from sheet to sheet. But a formula cannot contain a reference to another workbook. Can you tell me in more detail what you are trying to do?

Customer:

An ex-colleague has recently left my business and has copied one of key excel applications. I am looking for proof that his new file is not original work but has simply been copied from my original file.

JoelK :

If the colleague copied the entire file and then copied and pasted formulas from that file into a new document, I am not aware of anything that would distinguish those formulae from original work.

Customer:

Ok thanks.

If you tell me anything you remember about how it was done in DOS, I can try to determine whether there is anything comparable in Windows to it.
Andrea,

Thank you for the positive rating. I really appreciate it. I don't know if I have anything to add to our conversation, but I will try.

If you can tell me anything that you can remember about how it was done in DOS, I can try to see if there is anything comparable in Windows.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your help - if I can remember anything further re dos I'll come back to you.

Regards,

Andrea

Roger that.
Andrea-
It has been a pleasure working with you. If there is anything else I can do to assist you with your smartphone, computer, or printer, please let me know. You can ask for me by name. Thank you for allowing me to be of service.
-Joel