Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

hi , not sure if I did the right thing last week, I had a

hi , not sure if I did the right thing last week, I had a message from Microsoft to update , I had to give my phone number and as soon as I did I had an automated message with a code of 4 numbers to enter on the computer, but not sure if I should have done it or not, WAS THIS A SCAM , VERY WORRIED , PLEASE HELP!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 3 years ago.
Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.

Kamil Anwar :

Did that message appear on Email? OR while you logged onto your e-mail? and it didn't let you logon?

Customer:

I think I was just applying for some insurance and it just appeared

Kamil Anwar :

The purpose was to confirm right?

Kamil Anwar :

Like a phone verification, right?

Customer:

I think so , but I have never had this before , so I am just wondering if it was a scam to get into the computer or was this a genuine update from misrosoft

Kamil Anwar :

It doesn't sound like a scam, it seems like you verified something and that's it.

Customer:

why did I have to put the 4 numbers which the phone call wanted me to put into the computer, can someone obtain my information that way

Kamil Anwar :

Not by just putting the 4 digit code.

Kamil Anwar :

These are the known names for programs that people use to remotely connect (teamviewer, logmein, etc) but it doesn't seem like a scam and i don't think your information may be stolen.

Customer:

have you heard of this pop up from anyone else

Kamil Anwar :

I know Microsoft email does verification

Kamil Anwar :

they do not let you proceed unless they do phone verification to secure your email account

Kamil Anwar :

is that pop-up still visible on your computer?

Customer:

as soon as I put the 4 numbers in the pop up went and I didn't worry until I went to work and my boss said I was very silly to give any details as it sounded like a scam to him, but he is no expert like yourself , so thankyou for putting my mind at ease, I have noticed my security name has gone when I turn on the computer

Kamil Anwar :

There are scams but from the information you have provided, it doesn't looks like a scam.

Kamil Anwar :

The most common scam now a days is a tech support scam where you get a call and speak to a real person who claims to be calling from Microsoft. He then tells you to go to a site and download a program to remotely connect to your computer and then at the end ask for money.

Customer:

ok thank you so very much for your help, I am very grateful, thankyou!

Kamil Anwar :

You're Welcome.

Kamil Anwar :

Thanks :)