Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

My Lenovo computer will not boot. I enter password, after a

My Lenovo computer will not boot. I enter password, after a while, screen goes grey and 'egg-timer' disappears. Is this a component fault?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Hi James. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

I can't yet be certain if this is a component fault but

is this a Windows 8 machine and how long has this been happening?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dukey01, Yes, my Lenovo computer is a windows 8 machiine.

Ancilliary devices that is, printer are working. Screen saver cuts in at the appropriate time. It's as if the computer is somehow locked. After the password ***** the 'egg timer' disappears and the screen goes blank.

The only way I can get on the net is by command keys on my wireless key board - and that is only after a couple of attempts.

Yours etc ***** *****.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jim. We can try using System Restore to put the machine back to a working condition. This will not affect your documents and data files. Plug the PC/laptop (I don't know if your Lenovo is a laptop or desktop) in to wall power and turn on. From your log in screen hold down (and keep holding) the Shift key and click the power icon in the lower right corner and select Restart. Release the Shift key when you see

"Please Wait"

On the Choose an Option page select Troubleshoot

On the next page select Advanced Options

On the next page select System Restore

Once System Restore launches select your account, enter your password ***** click

Continue

Once System Restore comes up click Next

Select a restore date before this problem began and the computer was working normally, and click Next

Click Finish

Say Yes to the admonition that it cannot be interrupted

System Restore will begin initializing and then restoring files.

Once finished and the machine restarted, you should be able to log in successfully.

-

I will always do my best to answer your question. Your satisfaction is my top goal. If you are not satisfied with the answer I provide, for any reason, please allow me to continue to help you (or recommend you for another expert or refund) rather than giving a negative rating. A positive rating is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dukey 01, Cannot get to log on screen. Screen blanks after password ***** *****

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Don't enter your password ***** try to log in. Hold down the Shift key and click the power icon in the lower right corner when you see this screen (or equivalent on your monitor)

graphic

Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Byron, Have no means of closing down computer other than by turning off power.

Rate your servics 'good' - just hope System Restore works. J

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Is the restore running now? It can take a while to complete.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Byron,

Tank you for your back-up enquiry re computer. I am very pleased to say that everything is working very well now. Relieved not to have lost my Documents.

I am very grateful for your assistance. It did take a little while to complete, particularly for a computer illiterate such as myself, but it's AOK now,

Once again thank you very much; hadn't realised how much I rely on this gadget until it 'wasn't there' so to speak.

Take care, yours ets. Jim Walker.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

You're most welcome, Jim. Glad to hear it's working again. Should you need assistance in the future I can be reached at this direct link:

-

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-dukey01/?rpt=3800

-

Preface your question with "For Dukey01 Only" and I should receive it.

Have a great day.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Byron,

Duly and thankfully received and noted, take care, Jim Walker