Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

A310 idea centre. Switch computer on works perfectly for 10-15

A310 idea centre. Switch computer on works perfectly for 10-15 minutes then you can hear the fan slowing to a low level, then it completely stops the computer working in any function, you cannot shut down in the normal way the only way is to switch of with the on/off switch. Would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Wes :

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Please favorite or bookmark this page so you can return here if we get disconnected. Unfortunately it's going to be tough to remotely isolate the problem but I can give you some steps you can try.

First of all, open up the PC and make sure it isn't coated with dust. If it is, take it outside and use an air compressor or canned air to blow the dust off of the inner components. One of the problems you may be experiencing is an overheating condition which is causing the computer to freeze up. Check to see that the fan over the processor is on tight. If it's loose, again, the computer may be overheating.

The other two possibilities are a hard drive error (bad sector on the hard drive, or failing hard drive) is causing the computer to freeze up... or a problem with the memory in the system. There are utilities you can use to test both (memtest86+ and Drive Fitness Test are what I recommend), but if the computer is still under warranty, I would suggest having it looked at by Lenovo.

Wes :

memtest86+ can be found here : http://www.memtest.org/

Wes :

and Drive Fitness Test can be found here: http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads#DFT

Wes :

If either test fails, the component in question will need to be replaced.

Wes :

If both pass, you may want to back up any information on the computer and re-load windows on it as trying to isolate the specific file or component isn't worth the time required to find it.

Wes :

I see you've disconnected. When you would like to continue our conversation, type a response in the box below and hit the reply button. I will be sent a message that you have reconnected and I will reconnect to you as soon as I can.

Customer:

Hi Wes. Having a problem logging on to the two web sites suggested due to the actual problem with the computer. Will come back to you when I have an answer. Thanks for your help so far.

Wes :

That's understandable. You may have to visit those websites with a different computer to create the necessary discs.