John
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

Hello, I have an Acer X3470 Aspire with windows 8 installed.

Hello, I have an Acer X3470 Aspire with windows 8 installed. The computer was working normally on Monday and was shut down at night in the correct fashion. The computer will now not start up. It shows the Acer logo screen then moves on to the log in screen. After putting in my password ***** pressing enter the screen goes black and nothing happens. The blue light keeps flashing as though it is trying to do something but even after leaving it for a while it does not boot up to windows. I tried holding down the ctrl key during boot up but that did not work, I also tried holding the Alt key and pressing F10 but this did not work either. Unfortunately I do not have a Start up DVD. I have Bullguard anti-virus installed which is up to date and I did a full scan for virusses last week.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
John :

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your PC. I will try my best to help you.

John :

Sir/Ma'am thank you joining the chat.

John :

Just to clarify you get this blank screen after you enter the window 8 login password ***** i correct

Customer:

yes

John :

Thank you for your reply.i believe you are currently chatting to me from another PC

Customer:

Yes

John :

Is the problematic PC near to you now?

Customer:

Yes

John :

Good.how many user accounts are shown on the windows 8 logon screen?

Customer:

I have not got the computer on at present but there is only one user account

John :

Its ok now please turn on the PC

Customer:

You will have to wait a few minutes whilst I set it up.

John :

No problem let m know once its ready

John :

Is it still booting up?

Customer:

Hi sorry for the delay. I have connected the computer up and it is now starting.I have the log on screen at present asking for my password.

John :

OK do not enter the password.can you see the power icon on the lower right bottom of the screen

Customer:

Yes

John :

Hold down SHIFT key while clicking on Restart,available from Power icon on the lower right corner of the screen.That will restart the PC to options screen

John :

let me know once you are in the options screen

John :

It will look like this

Full Size Image

Customer:

OK I have the options screen

John :

Good,Now click on Advanced option

John :

In advanced options select system restore then it will ask to select the user account you use select it then enter the password.once you have system restore window let me know

Customer:

Sorry for a bit of a delay but my old computer is slow. I now have the advanced options screen on.

John :

No worries,In advanced options select system restore then it will ask to select the user account you use,select it then enter the password.once you have system restore window let me know

Customer:

Okay I now have the system restore screen

John :

Good,now click on next then select a restore date were the computer worked fine before then continue with the restoring process

John :

let me know once the restoring process has stared.

John :

I apologize for the typing error.what i meant is started not stared

Customer:

Okay chose last automatic restore point on 07/08/2014. Restore started but screen popped up with message - System restore failed while scanning file system on drive C:\ Drive might be corrupt you might want to retry after running chkdsk/R on this disk. Unspecified error (0x80070571).You can try system restore again using different restore point

John :

OK it seems like hard drive is going bad but before jumping to such conclusions let see if we can boot in safe mode.please go back to troubleshooting option window

Customer:

Okay I have got troubleshoot screen back up again.

John :

Click on advanced option then select start-up settings the click on restart

Customer:

Okay am in start up settings screen now

John :

That will boot the system to startup setting select enable safe mode which is option 4 i believe

John :

see if the system loads to safe mode.enter your password ***** the user account and see if you can load to windows desktop screen with icons in it.let me know

Customer:

Okay I am in safe mode. Have got a window that says Windows Help and Support and a System Restore window I also have the usual Icons on the left hand side

John :

Good,now i want to try system restore again press window key + R key that will open run window in that type rstrui and press enter

John :

see if that opens system restore window then do the same instructions as before and select a restore point where the computer worked fine and continue

John :

Also let me know which is the anti-virus installed in the windows 8 pc

Customer:

Okay System Restore is running again

John :

Good,did it start the restoring process ?

Customer:

Sorry missed the bottom of the message. I have Bullguard anti virus installed. Yes restore in progress

John :

No worries,after the restoring process it will restart the system and boot to normal windows,login and check it
Let me know

John :

Is it still running system restore?

Customer:

Just finished and is now restarting

John :

OK let me know the status after you login in normal mode

Customer:

Okay all back to normal. Many thanks for your excellent help. Regards David

John :

You are welcome,Can you restart once more just to make sure its OK

John :

After the restart please check some usual application you use then let me know the status.

Customer:

Restarted okay and all seems to be in working order. Many thanks again.

John :

You are welcome.Please rate me using the options just below this box select the rating and click on submit that will do it some bonus will be well appreciated.Have a Great God Blessed Day. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/