Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

A long email disappeared suddenly in drafts (windows 8) Need

Customer Question

A long email disappeared suddenly in drafts (windows 8) Need to retrieve
Category: Computer
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 years ago.
JoelK :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

JoelK :

If it disappeared from your Drafts folder, look for it in your Deleted folder and your Sent folder. It may have gotten deleted or sent by mistake.

Customer:

have tried all that, it just went during typing. Could I have hit a wrong key maybe along the bot***** *****ne?

JoelK :

Were you composing your email in the Outlook client on your computer?

JoelK :

Were you in the outlook.com email client on your Windows 8 Start menu screen?

JoelK :

Or were you accessing your email server directly on the web through your browser?

Customer:

Composing with btmail in Drafts - it had been saved a few times

JoelK :

Please reread my questions above and answer each of them explicitly. They are Yes or No questions. (One question, and only one must be answered Yes.)

JoelK :

I need to know your email environment, so that I can attempt to replicate your problem.

JoelK :

Also, if you have saved it many times, does an earlier version of the draft email appear in the Draft folder?

JoelK :

There are basically three ways to access email on a computer. Maybe you were not aware of that. Since you are not answering, I will assume that you login to your email through your browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome.

Customer:

Through internet Explorer - sorry, fell asleep, its late here.

JoelK :

Did the earlier saved version disappear or was it the active version on which you were actively working?

Customer:

It was a saved version that I was working on from drafts, on windows 8.1, Asus laptop.

JoelK :

Can you please tell me, what is your email domain? Do not give me your email address, because it will be blocked online. Just tell me, what comes after the @ sign?

Customer:

@btinternet.com

JoelK :

Please standby while I try to replicate your problem on my computer...

Customer:

Do you think there's any chance of finding it? I cant keep awake much longer - (sen. cit. 75 )

JoelK :

There is no Save button in my web mail. How exactly did you save your draft each time. Did you use the File - Save As menu?

JoelK :

If so, it is saved on your hard drive. You can open your Windows Explorer or your Computer icon and search for Mail.mht. . That is the file format for saving a single webmail document.

JoelK :

I WILL REPEAT THAT TO BE CLEAR. SEARCH FOR MAIL.MHT ON YOUR COMPUTER AND LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. THE SEARCH FUNCTION SHOULD RETURN A FILE THAT ENDS IN THE FOLLOWING:

BTINTERNET_COM MAIL.MHT

Customer:

Theres a 'save draft; on the empty draft under 'new message'.

Customer:

Thanks a lot, I will try that now.

JoelK :

The web interface for my email address does not have a Save button. It just auto saves whenever I leave the message window to go the inbox or any other window.

JoelK :

But I am counting on the fact that your Windows OS will work the same as mine.

Customer:

Mine also auto-saves as I noticed the save time changing without the save button.

JoelK :

OKAY, GOOD! THEN YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEARCH FOR IT, AS I DESCRIBED ABOVE.

JoelK :

PLEASE DO THIS SEARCH AND LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

Customer:

I don't know how/where to search for mail.mht

JoelK :

Hi again. Thanks for letting me know.

JoelK :

Do you have a Computer icon on your desktop?

JoelK :

Or do you have Windows Explorer?

Customer:

Windows Explorer and File Explorer

JoelK :

File Explorer is probably the same as Windows Explorer. It is just an icon that has been renamed.

JoelK :

Open File Explorer or Windows Explorer and got to Local Disk C:

JoelK :

There is a search window to the right of the address window on the address bar. Type Mail.nht into the search window and look for a file name that ends in btinternet_com Mail.mht.

Customer:

OS.C search just gives my email address in a list of files of 452kb???

Customer:

Willhave to go now, can we reconnect in 8 hours? You will need a rating.

Customer:

Have tried as many search search bars as I can find on 'myPC' in file explorer OS (C) no results

JoelK :

I got it.

Customer:

This is nearly 5.5 hours!!!

Customer:

What did you get???

JoelK :

You searched in the right place, but are you sure you did not find a file near the top of the list that ends in Mail.mht?

Customer:

No

JoelK :

No, I just meant that I got your communication.

JoelK :

I know it has taken a long time.

JoelK :

I apologize for that.

Customer:

must go now

JoelK :

Go back to your email web page and search on the server for your subject. Your email may show up there. Have you done that?.

JoelK :

I know it is very late in the UK. You can do it tomorrow. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Customer:

What does server and subject mean - sorry to be so stupid at this early hour on a remote island in Scotland

JoelK :

The webpage for your email comes from an email server on the internet. I was referring to the subject line for your draft email. If you did not include a subject, then you can search for the addressee.

Customer:

I didn't put either a subject or an addressee, just trying web again , it came up with \n earlier drafts but then had to sign in again so lost it.

JoelK :

If the earlier draft is close to what you lost, that may be the best you can do. You should be able to sign in again and find it again. Nothing gets deleted from the server.

Customer:

It still wont let me open the drafts- just says to sign in again.

Customer:

good night this time and thanks

JoelK :

TTYL

Frances,

THANK YOU OR THE POSITIVE RATING. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

I am not sure whether you were eventually successful at signing in and recovering an earlier version of your draft email or not, but I am grateful that I had the opportunity to assist you.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND! :-)
Hi Frances,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Please let me know,
Joel