Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

My PC made a buzzing sound then froze completely, nothing I

My PC made a buzzing sound then froze completely, nothing I could do so turned it off. Switched it back on, it tried to power on but all I got was the Dell logo and the blue bar 1/8 across, it would do nothing more and the F buttons wouldn't work or the keyboard. I have tried several times to solve this but it remains the same. All the other equipment works fine. Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Wes :

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Please favorite or bookmark this page so you can return here if we get disconnected. Can you be a little more specific about the "buzzing" sound? Did it sound like an electronic buzzing (like from a speaker) or did it sound mechanical?

Customer:

Elecstronic I would say but a bit deeper in sound

Wes :

So it didn't sound like a fan grinding or anything like that?

Customer:

No, I can push the fan button at the back and the fan is working

Wes :

What is the model number of the PC?

Wes :

and service tag if you can find it (should be on the back or side).

Customer:

Optiflex 380

Customer:

just a min

Customer:

HXDZ25J

Wes :

okay, let me look it up so I can get an idea of what the PC has on the inside

Customer:

OK

Wes :

do the LEDs on the keyboard light up?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

i have system mechanic and it has been correcting lags for some time? if thats any help

Wes :

okay, try turning the computer off, turn it on and immediately start tapping F12 about once every quarter to half-second. See if the one-time boot menu comes up

Customer:

i think the fan has been working extra hard lately too

Customer:

cant tap any f keys tried all that

Wes :

could you try it again, just to make sure? If you don't hit them at the right time they won't do anything.

Customer:

i have to connect it up as am on my laptop connect my pc monitor.

Wes :

because if they don't do anything, it's likely the system has a problem that you won't be able to fix yourself. It may anyway, but in order to determine that, we have to try to get into the system diagnostics which can be accessed from the boot menu.

Customer:

i realise that but cant access the boot menu.

Customer:

let me connect it up

Customer:

no nothing

Customer:

still stuck tried f12

Wes :

Is the computer a standard tower case, a desktop (narrower, lays on its side), or a small form-factor case?

Customer:

standard

Wes :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Wes :

can you click on that link... is it the one on the left, center, or right (just to make sure)

Customer:

centre

Customer:

i checked all the seatings

Wes :

Okay. I'm afraid at this point I don't have good news for you. The likely diagnosis is that a component has failed on the motherboard. There are a few other things you can try however depending on how much effort you want to put into getting it going, you can try opening it up and making sure it's cleaned out (get rid of any dust balls, etc..) There also should be a small coin-cell battery on the board. You can try pulling that battery, waiting a minute or two then putting it back in and try starting the computer again. You can also try disconnecting the hard drive(s) and see if it will start up and recognize that they're missing (and if you can get into F12 and run a diagnostic).

Wes :

it will show you the inside of the system, where various components are and how to go about replacing the motherboard if you so choose.

Wes :

Your data should still be intact on the hard drive, which you can remove and connect to a USB to Hard Drive adapter to retrieve any important data

Wes :

Some of the Optiplexs also have some diagnostic LEDS on them... does yours have any of these on the front or back?

Customer:

tht web page is not available

Customer:

no

Customer:

just the fan light

Wes :

if you click on PDF next to Desktop Service Manual, that should get you the service manual.

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

ok will try, thought all along it was the motherboard

Wes :

Yeah, I think your instincts are probably correct. You can probably find a replacement on eBay or from a parts warehouse if you want to try to get it going. The system's pretty old though so it may be best to just replace it entirely if that's an option.

Wes :

3-4 years is generally the age at which it doesn't make sense to "fix" a PC

Customer:

ok was already thinking along those lines, but do NOT want windows 8

Customer:

tried one recently and hated it,, its sooooooooooo un -user friendly

Customer:

anyhow thanks for your help, its good to have expert opinion..

Wes :

Well as far as that goes you have two options. Honestly, 8.1 isn't that bad. You can arrange the start screen so that it functions like Windows 7, it has the start menu... it's really significantly better than 8. Or, you can look for an OEM Windows 7 disc and license and install that on a new computer

Customer:

ok thanks again...

Wes :

It's hard to say if you could use the Windows 7 license from that dell on a different PC

Wes :

you *might* be able to if you can have, or can get, the OS disc from Dell

Customer:

i have a recovery disc but that didnt work wither!!!

Customer:

either

Customer:

from what ive read, it's dodgy even with a licensed disc on 8.1

Wes :

You would need the actual Dell W7 OS disc (usually brown or black or Blue) and says "Operating System"

Customer:

will keep it in mind

Wes :

Okay, I once again, sorry I didn't have better news for you, but if the info I've provided has been helpful, please click a smiley before you go.

Customer:

will do...:)

Wes :

good luck

Customer:

thanks