John
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

good afternoon, my new laptop with windows 8.1 goes to a blank

good afternoon, my new laptop with windows 8.1 goes to a blank black screen when I log in with my Microsoft account password ***** I have no way in to recover or reset anything. All seems to be running in the background according to taskmanager, but obviously something is wrong. It started when I was downloading the sky go application and Silverlight, which it said it needed to operate? can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
John :

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your PC. I will try my best to help you.

John :

Sir/Ma'am when did this problem started and did the system do any windows update just before this issue started?

John :

Note: - Type your message in the chat box below then press enter to send it or click on reply to send it so that I can see your reply

Customer:

this problem started two days ago and yes there was a windows update and a scan via Mc Afee which put a couple of files into quarantine, Managed to get it to do a full scan, but it failed to sort anything.

John :

OK i believe you are currently chatting to me from another PC am i correct?

Customer:

Yes I have too as I cant get into the new one

John :

OK is the task manager open now?

Customer:

I can open it just a second

John :

before that

John :

are you currently logged into the windows 8 pc

Customer:

yes, but it has that blank screem

John :

OK then press CTRL + ALT + DEL keys and then select start task manager

Customer:

OK its on screen

John :

click on file on the top left corner of the task manager then click on run new task

John :

did you get new task box/window?

Customer:

OK done

John :

in that type cmd and press enter

John :

if that doesn't work cmd.exe and press enter

Customer:

done

John :

now type sfc /scannow then press enter see if its running the system integrity scan

Customer:

it says I must be an administrator to run this

John :

open new task window again

John :

then click on browse

Customer:

ok

John :

is the browser in system32 folder

Customer:

yes

John :

in that scroll down and look for cmd.once you find it let me know

Customer:

ok

John :

did you find it

Customer:

yes, cmd .exe

John :

right click on it and click on run as administrator

Customer:

yes

John :

Customer:

its running the scan

John :

once the scan is done please let me know

Customer:

have I got time for some tea? looks like it

John :

Yes you have

John :

The scan usually take up to 10 min

John :

what is the percentage it shows on the scan ?

Customer:

41%

John :

OK if i give you remote access link can you open that in the problematic PC so that i can check the issues directly.I can guide you how to do that let me know

Customer:

Is that now or when the scan finishes?

John :

now

Customer:

OK

John :

First lets open internet explorer,open file then start new task again

Customer:

ok

John :

In the new task type iexplore.exe and press enter see if that opens internet explorer

Customer:

ok open with blank page

John :

Now type this web address in the address bar of internet explorer http://tinyurl.com/mxeawee and press enter see if that open remote desktop page

Customer:

yes it has

John :

Good,In that page click on I Agree, then you will get Elisnore Screen Connect Client download and run it. Then it will ask to launch application click on Run to launch application, if it asks for User Account Control click on Yes that will allow me to connect once I am connected to your PC I will post a message using the remote chat screen. If you have any trouble connecting please let me know.Do not close this main justanswer chat page either.

John :

I got disconnected from the other PC

John :

did it finish the clean up ?

Customer:

It appears to be deleting folders

John :

OK once its done it will show you a message click on OK in it

John :

then it will show a message to restart click on yes in it that will restart the PC

Customer:

its is restarting

John :

Good

Customer:

Looks like it might have worked! I have the start screen back

John :

yes i am connected to the PC too

John :

Is the system still rebooting to safe mode?

Customer:

it has opened in safe mode

John :

But i didn't get re-connected

John :

reboot to normal mode and see if the system is OK now

Customer:

not sure why, says its connected to the net, let me check

John :

is the system functioning normal in safe mode?

Customer:

seems to be

John :

OK i am now connected

John :

I believe the system is restarting now to normal mode

Customer:

yrs

Customer:

yes

John :

OK

John :

Let me know how it goes

Customer:

seems OK

John :

Good to know.see if you can access internet and the applications you needed

Customer:

tried a couple of apps and they seem ok

John :

Good to know,Is there anything else you like to know ?

Customer:

Should I get rid of MCAfee and get something else?

John :

Either renew the mcafee or install a new anti-virus,if you are installing a new one first remove the mcafee then only install the new one

Customer:

OK John, thanks for your help today

John :

You are welcome.Please rate me using the options just below this box select the rating and click on submit that will do it some bonus will be well appreciated.Have a Great God Blessed Day. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Customer:

Will do John many thanks, ***** ***** whats left of a good day too!!

John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.