Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

Have purchased and downloaded Excel for Mac 2011 and cant get

Have purchased and downloaded Excel for Mac 2011 and cant get it to sort as well as Excel on my PC. It seems to take 2 commands OK but third and subsequent are ignored. I do this all day and every day without a problem on my PC but decided to switch to MacAir for more portability. Certainly didn't expect the Mac to do LESS than equivalent on PC! Wonder if my download my be faulty. Any experience with this? Example, sort column R by cell colour, E low to high, J low to high used to be easy, now impossible! HELP!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 years ago.
JoelK :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

JoelK :

I know that

JoelK :

Notwithstanding Apple's superior reputation for elegant software integration with their operating systems, it is not uncommon for some widely used applications that were originally developed for windows to be superior to versions that were later adapted for mac. The product evolution cycles are not in 100% correlation with each other, since they have been developed and maintained separately.

Customer:

I would appreciate you trying the same exercise so I can determine if I have a faulty download or if the machine is just not capable of performing this pretty simple task. Thank you.

JoelK :

That is a good idea. I have done that. It works if you select Sort from the Data Ribbon,or if you do it by right clicking on the selected range of cells and selecting Custom Sort. I have Microsoft Office 360, which is a subscription service that includes cloud storage on the OneDrive, formerly called the SkyDrive, and my operating system is Windows 8.1.

Customer:

Hi Joel - thanks for that but it works fine on the pc laptop, it's the Mac that doesn't seem to accept that third command. Can't cope with it on our machine so do you have a Mac you could try it on. That's another negative for a Mac for me - no right click! Thanks. Julie

JoelK :

Are you speaking of the Copy Level in the Data -Sort menu, where you can select the primary sort colum, then the secondary, followed by the tertiary, etc.? I have gone down to 5 levels, and this is only limited by the number of columns in the selected range. But keep in mind, that unless there are identical values in the intermediate columns, the lower levels will not have an opportunity to affect the sort order.

JoelK :

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a mac at the moment, but have I understood your question and replicated it on my pc correctly?

JoelK :

I am not sure if I understood what you meant by the third command, since all the sort levels are set up in one dialog box before the Sort command is executed by selecting the OK button.

Customer:

Thanks for that Joel. Thought it might help to attach a page as an example.

Attachment: 2014-09-02_154826_mac_excel_example.pdf

Full Size Image

Customer:

Attachment: 2014-09-02_155532_mac_excel_example.pdf

Full Size Image
Joel - not sure this has attached properly but cant see another way of doing it! Hope you can open it to reveal an example done on the Mac. Instructions are to sort column O by cell colour green at the top, then E by number low to high, then J by number low to high. This comes out perfectly when performed on pc but on the Mac you can see the first two operations are good but third one doesn't sort. The second operation does have identical values in multiple rows but the column J values aren't being sorted within those column E values. This is an absolute piece of cake on the pc so all I am trying to ascertain is whether that is just all a Mac can do, or if I may have a problem on the downloaded Excel programme. If you don't have a Mac to try this out on I cant see that you can help me. If you can't open the attachment think we'll just have to give up and I'll have to try to find a technical support phone number for Excel to ask them directly. Please let me know. Thank you.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Don't mind waiting. Just need someone with a Mac to try it out on really then I'll know straight away where the problem lies!

Thanks for your help.

Dear Customer,

I got the files that you sent, and the example is just as I understood it to be. I cannot see the colors, but I get the idea. You sent me the image of an unsorted file. Not only is it unsorted in column J, but it is also unsorted in column E. (The last seven rows should be at the top with the first six rows, since these all have an 8 in column E.)

I do not have easy access to a mac, but I could do a remote desktop support session with you on your mac, so that I can see what you mean when you talk about separate operations. As I said before, it is all done in one operation by setting up the sort on the three columns as three line items within a single dialog box.

Are you saying that you cannot set up any more than two lines of sorting criteria in your sort dialog box? Please let me know if you want to do a remote desktop support session. (By the way, I did not get your name.)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that Joel. The colour in column O goes down to where the 8s in column E start again so we know those two columns are being sorted OK, it's the third command to sort column J that the Mac just won't action. Seems to allow you to add as many lines of sorting as you like but then wont do what its supposed too! As mentioned before we're extremely familiar with working this programme on the pc so simply trying to find out if its our new excel for mac programme that's the problem and can't do that unless you have a mac to try it out on a different version of excel. Thanks. Julie

Julie,
I will have access to a mac with excel Thursday night, and I will try to sort my sample file on it. I will let you know on Friday morning US time, which will be Friday evening in the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Joel

Thanks for your reply but we took our Mac over to a friends this evening and copied the programme across to his machine and it worked fine so obviously a problem with the Excel download we have on ours! Will contact the supplier and ask for a new one - fingers crossed. Thanks for trying to help anyway... Julie

Okay Julie. Good luck!
Experience: I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.