Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have an aspire 5742 snid *********** and want to connect

I have an aspire 5742 snid *********** and want to connect to my vga port and to a vcr but all I get is no signal - how do I get my vga port to be tv out ?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am sorry about your issue. Since you are using Windows 7, please do these steps to enable "extended" or duplicate screen:
  1. Press the Windows Logo key in your computer and hold it, then press P. (That is, Win key + P)
  2. You shall get a horizontal options showing Computer Only, Duplicate, Extend, and Projector only.
  3. In that panel, select Duplicate. Then check your TV screen and see if the sceen on your laptop is now duplicated in the TV

Please let me know your results so that I can help you further. The next thing that you can check if the steps above did not work is to set the TV to a PC mode or somehting similar.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no result I'm afraid

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Reginald,

Thank you for writing back. When you pressed the windows logo key and press P, did you see the panel I mentioned? Please give it another try. Minimize all windows so that you will see the desktop or screen in your laptop. Then press Windows key and press P. You shall see this:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no still no result - do you think that this particular model was not made to have the vga port an operational tool

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Reginald,

I believe your particular model is equipped with that working VGA port. Did you press and hold Windows key and then press P while you are viewing the desktop screen?

Another way to try:
  1. Minimize all windows to show the desktop screen
  2. Right click on ANY of vacant space on your screen then click Screen Resolution
  3. In the bot***** *****nks, click on "Connect to a Projector". That should show the same panel I showed you.

Keep me posted if you got the panel or not.

Also, can you please tell me the exact model of your TV attached to your VGA port in your laptop?

Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

jess the tv is my old workhorse a toshiba which as far as I am aware was produced for analogue reception and am I right in thinking that the vga port is used for analogue signals as opposed to digital - perhaps it requires some programable instructions to enable it to respond and of course my new vga connector recieved saturday maybe completly useless. I the instructions that you gave me to hold down the windows key + p is the normal way to connect then it may mean I have to purchase a better quality connection. everything you gave me by way of instructions worked I got the choices you told me to expect. The sad thing is linking my laptop to the tv via the hdmi cable works a treat without any input to facilitate it. I you can think of any further alternatives to get me connected I would be extremely grateful - perhaps I will just have to give it up as a bad job - reg

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Reg,

Thank you for that information. I was asking for your TV because most TV sets have options in their remote to set it to PC Output. Can you please check your TV menu and see if such PC Remote or something similar is available?

If it is available, then please set it in your TV and try the procedures I gave you and select Duplicate. That TV setting will allow your computer to show the display on the TV.

If your TV does not have such option, then I believe the TV might not be a supported model as most newer TVs now are already capable of being used as external monitor via VGA ports.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped.

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer