Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

I have an Acer Advent C312 running Windows 8.1. It went unstable

I have an Acer Advent C312 running Windows 8.1.
It went unstable on the desk top, apps contiued to work fine. I thought I have a virus but couldn't access my Norton 360 so prepared a Norton bootable recovery USB key.
In Windows I changed the boot order to move USB HDD to first in the order and changed UEFI to Legacy. I performed a scan and no viruses were found but now I cannot get back!
The tablet will not move down the boot list probably because I have set it to Legacy? The tablet will not respond to the wireless keyboard so I have used a USB wired one. During start up it says press F2 to set but the computer doesn't respond. Within the Norton programme the help file allows access to the command line but bootcfg, bcdedit or even msconfig all result in negative replies - cannot open or files not found.
Any suggestions?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please clarify first, whether your Acer device is a 'Travelmate' or an 'Advent'... it might make a difference. And frankly I only find references to 'Travelmate' associated with the model 'C312'.

I am presuming it is a tablet PC, in the following.

Probably setting the BIOS Setup to 'Legacy' devices or Legacy USB has affected things.

Obviously, unplug the USB drive before powering the tablet On.

The HDD needs to move up the boot order list, obviously.

If the keyboard being USB continues to be a problem (likely only because of the Legacy devices setting, if so), then you may have to get an altogether old sort of keyboard, if you even have an old-fashioned keyboard port on the tablet.

Anyway, try to disable 'Legacy', save that change, restart, then go into BIOS Setup and try to change the boot order also. Let me know how it goes. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russell

Thank you for your reply. I hope you do not regret taking this on!

The device is a tablet with blue tooth connected removable key board. I am sorry I miss read my receipt, the number should be P315. It has only one standard USB port, a mini USB which I think is for projection output and a pin hole marked "reset".

I agree that it is the legacy which has affected things althought the original problem of instablity may also be a problem.

I have powered up without a USB stick and it stops - unable to boot, please insert USB drive (or something similar). It fails to move on through the boot order list. I assumed that this was because the windows boot manager, next on the list. could not work in Legacy. I have borrowed a USB connected key board as all mine are PS2 and there is not port on the tablet.

The key is that I do need to disable Legacy but how?

Peter

Try the reset button.

I doubt that will change the BIOS settings. If it does not, you may need a USB 1.1 or USB 1.0 keyboard, since 'Legacy' USB is basically one of those two (earliest) USB versions. If your current USB keyboard is USB 2.0 or USB 3, then that explains why it no longer works.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The reset button didn't change anything. It still says no bootable device.

How can I tell what version of USB my keyboard is? The only information, apart from Made in China, is the date sticker 2009.

Is there a model # ***** a maker name on it? or is it utterly no-name?

Many if not most USB devices nowadays are USB 2 (or 3, if really new.) Finding a USB 1 or 1.1 keyboard (legacy USB) may take a bit of searching.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK this is getting too difficult.

In summary it seems that when the computer says press F2 to enter set up I need a USB 1 keyboard which should cause the computer to repond and allow legacy to be returned to UFEI and then I will be back with the original instability issue.

I think I will have to take the computer to a repairer.

The only alternative would be if there was a 'BIOS Settings reset switch', and I have never heard of such a thing (it would have its inconveniences to say the least, if it existed), so I think that would be the best thing to do.

Something like a USB 1 keytboard might do. The repairer may find some other way to get around the difficulty too.

Please rate my Answer - hopefully favorably - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your case. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.