Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I have a BT Powerline adapter and a Devolo 500 AV adapter in

Customer Question

I have a BT Powerline adapter and a Devolo 500 AV adapter in a different room from where my router is. I have used Devolo cockpit but cant get a connection to the Devolo 500av adapter in that room alongside a BT Sampler Powerlinhe adapter which is used to obtain BT Infinity. I get an error message that I should check cables etc. have done so to no avail. I also have no data light operational. Can you explain what is happening and what I should do to fix it?
John
Category: Computer
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 years ago.

JoelK :

Hello. My name is Joel, and I can help you solve your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

JoelK :

Why are you mixing BT and Devolo equipment?

JoelK :

I have researched your issue, and, as far as I can tell, your BT Powerline adapter will extend the router domain from room to room, but the remote unit does not have wireless capability; it has only an Ethernet cable connection. Therefore, you have obtained the Devolo AV 500 Wireless+ system, which has both wireless and Ethernet cable connectivity.

JoelK :

The Devolo AV 500 Wireless+ is a great system, but it will not work interoperably with the BT Powerline adapter. You should just replace the BT system with the Devolo system, and you will accomplish your objective.

JoelK :

Connect the local unit (with the two Ethernet ports) to your router, using one of the ports, and place the remote unit (with the three Ethernet ports) in the other room where you need service. You will be replacing both BT Simpler units, local and remote, with the two Devolo units. If you need to go to a third room, you will have to purchase another unit from Devolo. You cannot mix the two systems.

JoelK :

If you are satisfied with my information and advice, please be sure to give me a Good or Excellent rating. If you are still having problems, please let me know. If you have any more questions, of if there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask. I am grateful for the opportunity to be of service.

I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERVICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!

JACUSTOMER-lda353k7- : I still haven't got a green data light showing.
JoelK :

Have you connected the local Devolo unit to the router using the same Ethernet cable that you had connected to the Powerline? Do you get a green data light on the local Devolo unit? Have you configured your wireless link using the Devolo cockpit software?