Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

Got a Hanns-G hw 191 series monitor. Three years old. Connected

Customer Question

Got a Hanns-G hw 191 series monitor. Three years old. Connected to a Dell p.c. problem just appeared - when switching on the screen lights up for about a second then goes off (into stand by?) lights are all on, connections are tight. If I switch monitor off and then on again the same thing happens. The start up screen or whatever is on the p.c. appears briefly then screen goes dark and doesn't come back up. Is it a monitor problem or something with p.c. As the screen is blank I cannot access anything on the p.c. to check anything.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.

Wes :

My name is Wes and I will be assisting you today. Please favorite or bookmark this page so you can return here if we get disconnected.

Wes :

Are you able to tell if windows finishes booting? i.e. start up sound/music plays?

Wes :

Also do you know if the computer is turning off or resetting when the monitor goes blank on you?

Wes :

My suspicion is that something is wrong with the PC. If a monitor goes out, usually you don't get any video at all (even briefly) One thing you can try is when you turn the computer on, start tapping F8 (if you get a boot menu, select boot from primary hard drive and keep tapping F8 after that). What you are looking for is the Windows Advanced Startup options. Once you get that menu, try selecting Enable low resolution video and hit enter. See if windows starts up and you have video. If you do, it will look large and goofy. You can fix that by going to Start>Control Panel>Display and changing the resolution back to whatever it was initially. If you don't know, just raise it up a step at a time and hit apply and see if you are comfortable with the image.

Wes :

I see you've disconnected. When you would like to continue our conversation, type a response in the box below and hit the reply button. I will be sent a message that you have reconnected and I will reconnect to you as soon as I can.