IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

what can I do to enter a password ***** windows has been re

what can I do to enter a password ***** windows has been reconfigured
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Are you getting prompted for a password ***** login to your Windows user account? If so, is there any other user account you are able to access now?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure. I am asking the question from another computer.

When I switch the affected computer on the 'starting windows appears then a few seconds later a box appears asking for a start up password

Expert:  Barun replied 2 years ago.
Please accept my apologies for the slight delay. Now, please restart the computer, then tap down the F8 key repeatedly at bootup until it brings up the Advanced Startup Options screen.

There, do you see a "Repair your computer" option listed?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I see that window

Expert:  Barun replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Please select that option and press ENTER.

Follow the on-screen directions until you get to a list of recovery tools, then select System Restore.

In the System Restore window, tick 'Show more restore points', then restore your system back to a date and time back to when you were able to log in to your account without needing a password.

After the restore process is complete, check if this resolves your issue all right. If you continue to face issues, just reply back to me below.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is not showing a list of recovery options all it does is show windows loading files then to start up repair which doesn't fix anything

Expert:  Barun replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, okay. What's the make and model of the system, please?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Gordon all in one intel i5 windows 7 pro hard drive is 1tb 7200 rpm by Hitachi.

As I was waiting for an answer start up repair asked for a restore point but at the moment it is still attempting repairs

Expert:  Barun replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, okay. Please allow the repair process to complete first, then check if you are able to bring the System Restore window thereafter. Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I prompted advanced system recovery went to the language box then to start up repair box it is the only one that keeps appearing under system recovery options

Expert:  Barun replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, that's odd. Now, please restart, tap F8 at bootup to go back to Advanced Startup Options, then boot up in SAFE MODE.

Does it still prompt you for a password ***** this mode? Also, are there any other accounts listed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I prompted safe mode then the computer restarted automatically and went first to the windows error window and then start up repair. it then shows startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically and asks to send to microsoft

Expert:  Barun replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Now, do you have a Windows 7 installation disk, or the recovery disks for this system?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the discs weren't supplied with the computer everything was loaded.

on another note I viewed the repair diagnostics and it says a patch is preventing the system from starting

Expert:  Barun replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, this is a tricky one. Let me open up your question to our other experts now; you will be automatically notified when another expert picks this up. Please do not rate any answer until your issue has been resolved.

Thank you for your continued patience.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

If you still require assistance with this problem, let me know the Windows version that is installed on the problem computer. Is it Windows 7 or another Windows version?

Thanks,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

windows 7 pro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK.

To confirm, does the password ***** you see looks something like this:

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no ... it has stopped showing the 'windows has been reconfigured and a password ***** ***** and restarts automatically to windows error recovery and starts the startup repair. this runs for about 30 seconds then shows startup repair cannot repiar this computer automatically asking to send information about this problem to microsoft

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK.

Please turn off the computer and then unplug the power cable and then leave it like that for about 2 minutes.

After that, replug the power cable and turn on the computer. See what happens.

In case it still goes to the "repair" screen automatically, then restart the computer and immediately keep pressing the F8 key until you see the Advanced Boot Options window. There select Safe Mode and let me know if you will be shown a password ***** or not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

after prompting safe mode it shows windows loading files then restarts automatically to run startup repair.

earlier i viewed the repair diagnostics and it shows a patch is preventing start up

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Please restart the computer and keep pressing the F8 key.

Can you confirm that you see this screen:

graphic

If yes, go ahead and select Repair Your Computer. After that, follow the on-screen instructions and you should be brought to a window that looks like this:

graphic

Is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i tried that earlier but it went straight to startup repair

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
What options are you given after the startup repair process ends?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

shows startup repair cannot repiar this computer automatically asking to send information about this problem to microsoft

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Any other option other than that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Well, it looks like Windows 7 will need to be re-installed or restored from the backup.

Please tell me the exact make and model of your computer. You don't need to specify processor, hard disk, etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Gordon all in one ... its a generic computer made by an italian company

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Honestly, I have never heard of it before. Does it have a model number printed somewhere?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no ... its made by gigabyte distributzione ... but is there anyway of retrieving any info like docs from the hard drive? I know I need to be able to start windows I can check my external drives to see if I saved any data, but I think I'll need get something to boot the computer or just replace the hard drive completely

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Yes, there is a way to access the contents of the hard disk drive using a bootable disk. I can provide the instructions for you to download and burn one of those disks that will help you get into your computer so that you can copy all the personal files to an external hard disk drive, and then you can either replace the hard disk drive or re-install Windows.

Are you currently using another computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I am using another computer ... btw thanks for your help so far

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome! Smile

OK, here is what you need to do on another computer to download a bootable disk and burn it in order to get into the hard drive contents.

There is a free rescue bootable disk with many useful programs. It is called Hiren's BootCD. You can download it by clicking on THIS LINK.

Once you have downloaded it, extract the zip file and you will get an ISO file which you need to burn onto a blank CD. You can use a program named Free ISO Burner which you can download on THIS LINK. It is free and easy to use.

Start Free ISO Burner and insert a blank CD. Click Open and locate the extracted ISO file and then click Burn.

Once burned, insert the disk into your "Gordon all in one" computer and then restart it. If it is set to boot from a bootable disk by default, then you will see this screen:

graphic

There select Mini Windows Xp and it will start an environment that looks like Windows XP, meaning you can access the hard disk drive and run some programs. You can then connect your external hard disk drive and use it to transfer personal files from the computer's hard drive to the external hard drive.

In case the computer doesn't automatically boot from the inserted disk, then you will need to access the BIOS and enable booting from the CD/DVD drive. Since I have never worked with "Gordon all in one" computers, I don't know the exact key you need to press when the computer is powering on, but it is usually F1 or F2 or Del/Delete key.

So, restart the computer and keep pressing the F1 key. If nothing happens, restart it again and try with F2 key, and then with Del/Delete, or check the screen to see if it is mentioning something about the "Press ... to access BIOS" message.

One of those keys should bring you to the BIOS screen where you can go to the BOOT tab and set CD/DVD drive to be the primary boot device. Once you have done that, save the changes in the BIOS and exit it. It is usually done by pressing the F10 button.

The computer will then restart and boot from the Hiren's Boot CD where you can access Mini Windows Xp environment.

Let me know if you were able to do that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

downloaded hiren's extracted files but there is no iso file

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
The file that comes out when you extract the zipped file is the ISO file, so go ahead and open it in Free ISO Burner to create a bootable disk.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I take it it is the file marked HBCD? ... you're speaking with a computer idiot here :)

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Don't worry. Smile

Yes, that is the one. The file is 594 MB in size and you should be able to open it with Free ISO Burner in order to burn the disk.
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its not working ... keeps going into windows error recovery ... want to thank you for your help anyway

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Well, if you have burned the disc and inserted it into your Gordon all in one computer, then please try with all F-keys.

Immediately after you power on or restart the computer, start pressing the F1 key. If nothing happens, restart it and try with the F2 key.

So, try with keys from F1 - F12 as I believe one of them should bring you to the BIOS menu or show the Boot menu window where you can select CD/DVD in order to boot from the disk (Hiren's Boot CD).

If even that doesn't do anything, then please contact the computer manufacturer or check the computer manual to see how to boot from a CD.

Regards,
IT Miro