Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

hi I have deleted some outlook 2007 email folders in error I

Customer Question

hi
I have deleted some outlook 2007 email folders in error
I need them back!
I cannot see my deleted items folder
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Pete :

Hi there,

Pete :

If your Outlook is connected to an Exchange server (this is normal if you have a business email server) then the folders are recoverable:

Pete :

See - http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/outlook-help/recover-deleted-items-HA010183568.aspx

Customer:

not a business account i'm afraid

Customer:

I can still search for the old mails...and see them...in gmail when I search but they are no longer visible in standard folder pane

Customer:

I should give you full info.

Customer:

I set up a gmail account and then linked it to outlook 2007..imap.

Pete :

Ok, what happens if you log into the gmail account through Google?

Pete :

Can you see the deleted items there?

Pete :

Did you delete an entire folder in Outlook and that change has replicated back to gmail?

Customer:

this was working ok. I then accidently deleted the folders in outlook. they also disappeared from gmail. I know they are stll in gmail because I can search for individual mails

Customer:

yes is the answer to your question

Pete :

Ok, so just the folder structure in Outlook has been affected then

Pete :

I'm afraid there isn't any way to recover the deleted folder structure unless you are on an Exchange server.

Pete :

You will need to re-create the folder and re-sync those emails to it.

Pete :

With IMAP, the emails 'should' automatically re-filter down and sync to the missing folder once it has been recreated.

Customer:

yes the folder structure has gone and as far as I can see the emaisl have to (in outlook)Folder structure also gone in gmail but mail can be searched for and found(as individual mails)

Pete :

However, it depends how your Outlook was set up initially.

Pete :

If you are set up to allow deletion from Outlook which does not affect the gmail account, then they may not re-sync.

Customer:

was originally set up to affect gmail account, I have since set it to not affect gmail account. do I need to reset this?

Pete :

Yes, you will need to reset it and the affected emails should then re-sync to gmail.

Customer:

you mean re-sync from gmail?

Customer:

they aren't in outlook anymore

Pete :

Yes, sorry - re-sync from gmail!

Customer:

ok I will try this

Pete :

Let me know if you need anything else.

Pete :

You can still ask free followup questions on this thread after rating my service if you need to :)

Customer:

is this setting in gmail or outlook?

Pete :

In Outlook

Customer:

can you please point me in the right direction?

Pete :

In Outlook, go to Account Settings and select Configure Automatically for the gmail account.

Pete :

Normally in a case like this, I would delete the gmail account from Outlook and re-create it to fully sync it again, however I am not sure how your Outlook is set up or if deleting and recreating the account would cause any problems for you.

Customer:

problem can get any worse..i can see what I current have in gmail in outlook....the only difference seems to be that I can search for the old emails in gmail whereas I cant in outlook. also, in outlook I don't have a deleted items folder for the gmail account

Pete :

Can you forward the affected emails to yourself again, or are there too many?

Customer:

there are too many...and the problem is that I can search for individual mails but I really want to restore them all in gmail from the archive. normal online help doesn't help me with this...hence Im chatting to you..

Pete :

Ok, if the affected emails have also been archived on gmail then they would need to be recovered first as well before re-syncing to Outlook

Pete :

If you can view all the archived emails at once, you could select them all in gmail and right-click then choose the 'Move to Inbox' option to "un-archive" them.

Pete :

This should then force them to re-sync with Outlook.

Customer:

agreed, but currently I can only view mail(archived) that I search for in gmail. it wont give me a full list

Pete :

To see a full list of archived emails, do a search in gmail for
has:nouserlabels -in:Sent -in:Chat -in:Draft -in:Inbox

Pete :

This will list all of your archived emails.

Pete :

Or, if you only want to search in Sent or Inbox, then only use the appropriate tags.

Pete :

(an archived email is just an email with the inbox label removed, so that is why the nouserlabels tag returns archived emails)

Customer:

great will try that

Customer:

not sure that all mail is there..but some have reappeared

Pete :

Ok, let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer:

the original folder structure in outlook was copied across to gmail (although looked a bit different).

Customer:

I still haven't got all the mails

Pete :

Ok, are many missing?

Pete :

Could some be un-archived?

Pete :

Is there a common subject or sender that you could search for?

Customer:

I might be able to do that. its complicated because I am doing this for my mother in law...so im not really 100% sure of names etc

Pete :

Ok, well searching and unarchiving is probably the best and safest recovery method.

Pete :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

yes...when setting up gmail in outlook, it doesn't appear in the standard "personal folders" list. it seems to set up underneath these.

Customer:

can I get gmail to load into personal folders?

Pete :

No, that isn't possible with IMAP. With IMAP, sent and received emails will go to IMAP folders. IF you use POP3, received emails will go to Inbox of Personal folders and sent mail will go to Sent Items folder of personal folders.

Customer:

ok, so I could use POP and it would work?

Pete :

Yes, it will work with POP.

Customer:

ok thanks pete..this will be painful but doable I think.

Customer:

best, chris