Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

We have several returned e-mails which we have not sent. What

We have several returned e-mails which we have not sent. What should we do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Pete :

Hi there,

Pete :

It appears that your email account has been hijacked.

Pete :

Change the password ***** your email account immediately.

Pete :

Ensure the new password ***** ***** one that is easily guessed - hackers can use automatic password ***** to crack your password ***** it is easy to guess, e.g. a word out of the dictionary.

Pete :

Try putting numbers and upper case letters in your password, e.g. Pa55w0Rd

Pete :

This will make it more difficult for someone to access your email account in future.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry. Had to go away. Should we cease to use The "remember me" service?

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Derek,
No, you can still use the 'remember me' service as long as no-one else who had access to your computer might use it in a malicious way.
You should also regularly scan your computer for viruses as malware that might attempt to steal your password.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete,

Thank you. I assume it would not be wise to open the returned mail to see where they originated.

Derek

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Opening the returned emails should be perfectly safe - they are likely notifications from an email server.
You should also check your sent box to see if any suspicious emails are located there.
If a recipient forwards you an original message hey received then it may be possible to locate the senders IP address, but this is of limited use as typically it will be a hijacked 'bot' computer located in Iran or China or similar.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Derek!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Do you need any further assistance?
Please let me know,
Pete.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Derek!
Please let me know,
Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought that I had finished and then had a long session with AOL. We have been away since. Everything seems ok now. Thanks again for your advice