Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I am trying to locate a customer who is emailing me from Quito,

I am trying to locate a customer who is emailing me from Quito, Ecuador but their IP address is in Redland Washington USA. Am I right to be suspicious?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello Julia! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. It can be suspicious or not; it depends on whom you are dealing with and the content of the email message. The IP address / location can be important or not as some people are actually concerned about their privacy on the Internet, so they use VPN service in order to hide their location, i.e., hide what websites they go to on the internet.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So these emails could be coming from Ecuador.?

That's correct. If you use a VPN service, that service can direct your location/IP address to another location, so the receiver does not know. Thank you