Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

I have recently been receiving emails from unknown senders,

I have recently been receiving emails from unknown senders, all of which appear to come through a mail host http//j.mp. My system atomatically dumps them in Junk mail.
Is there any way I can stop them at source?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Wes :

Unfortunately, short of trying to report them to the originating domain, there is no way to stop them at the source. This has been a problem with spam mail since it first started occurring. One way to reduce the amount of junk mail you receive is to use more than one e-mail address. Set up an alternate email address that you use for registration on websites, online orders, etc. Then use another e-mail for conversing with live individuals, friends, etc...

Customer:

How do I get to the originating domain

Wes :

well you need to examine the full headers of the e-mail. Then you can try forwarding the message to abuse@<originating domain> etc. If you could copy and paste the full headers of the e-mail here, I could try to look it up for you.

Customer:

I can give you an example of one of the emails:

Wes :

j.mp is a shortened URL however meaning j.mp isn't actually the originating domain. It is a url created through the bitly.com website to shorten long URLs

Sure give me an example

Customer:

*****@******.*** email address of sender

Wes :

just give the portion after the @ symbol otherwise it will be blocked out

Customer:

OK. hughes.net http://j.mp/1ryXGKT is this OK for you

Wes :

so you are receiving an email from someone with hughes.net as their e-mail provider and in the body of the email it says the j.mp/1ryXGKT

right?

Customer:

Yes, all the mails have the same http etc with different numbers/letters amfter the j.mp/

Wes :

Okay, here's what's going on with those e-mails

Customer:

Good, is there anything which can be done

Wes :

The e-mails you are receiving like that mean the sender's email account has been compromised and someone is using the account to send out viruses, malware, ad websites, etc... Most of the time it's someone that you have had e-mail contact with at some point. If it's a friend or family member, what I usually do is reply back saying "hey, you need to change your password, I'm getting malware links sent from your e-mail account". If it's an e-mail address you don't recognize, the best thing to do is just leave it alone and ignore it (let your junk mail filter do its job).

Wes :

If you reply back to an unfamiliar e-mail, you are in effect confirming "yes, this e-mail address works... send me more spam".

Customer:

Im reluctant to reply as the rather brief comments in the emails suggest it may be a sex club! The emails come various country codes, e.g.. br, de. So I do as you suggest. Thanks

Wes :

You're welcome. You should NEVER click on one of those links in an e-mail unless you are absolutely, 100% without a doubt certain that it's not a malicious link. Because some of them may redirect to software which could download and infect your system (even with Macs).

Wes :

if this has answered your question, please click a smiley face before you go.

Customer:

Ok. forewarned is forearmed each email is from a different email address. woud you send the warning to each one as it arrives. Im getting up to 10 of these each day!l

Wes :

No, I wouldn't. I would just let the junk filter do its job. I don't have time to respond to the ones I get... the only time I do is if it's a close friend or family member and I happen to see it if I'm checking my junk mail folder for something else.