Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

HI, Icannot get my ma emachine to power up. Power light on

HI, Icannot get my ma
emachine to power up. Power light on the back just keeps flashing
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

Would it possible for you to tell me the model of emachine computer that you have? It should say so somewhere on it.

Also how old is the computer?

Please let me know so I can further assist.
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is an E4024 machine, be about 5 years old I think, possibly more. I did have the problem once before and I think it was solved by switching the power off at the machine. trouble is I cannot find the on off power switch

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

Ok on some models, on the back of the machine will have a power switch on the power supply, have a look there first.

However I would like you to try the following.

First unplug the power from the back and make sure that everything is securely plugged in to a working power outlet. You may want to clean away any dust on the outlet on the power supply itself to make sure that you are getting a good connection.

Next press and hold in the computers power button and let it go when the machine turns on.

Try the above and if that does not sort it out reply to me for further instructions.

Thanks,
Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing happens when I hold the computers power button, still just the flashing power light at the back of the machine

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok and are you hearing any noise from the computer at all, anything like fan noises or beeping?

Lastly do you have any experience in computer hardware repair?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

nothing from the machine, just the flashing power light at the back. no experiance in computer repair

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

Without having physical access to this computer there is no I can tell you with 100% accuracy what the problem is.

That being said, you likely have some sort of hardware failure. Unfortunately emachines computers often suffer from hardware failure as they get older. They are generally affordable machines however they are able to sell them for a low price because they do use quality parts.

When a computer will not turn on there are a wide range of things that could be the cause. Anything from a broken power switch to a failed motherboard.

I don't recommend if you have no computer experience that you attempt to fix this problem. For one reason you could make the issue worse if you do the wrong thing. Also you likely would not have the tools or parts needed for proper troubleshooting and most importantly you could hurt yourself.

You could attempt to disconnect everything from the computer, that means the keyboard, mouse, power cable, printer, any external devices. Then open the computer up and blow the dust from the inside of the machine with come compressed air. Office supply stores usually sell compressed air.

This can sometimes help because over years dust can accumulate in the computer causing the power button and power supply to not function properly and a good cleaning is all that is needed.

Aside from that I would suggest you take it to a local repair shop to have it properly diagnosed. Honestly given the machines age and depending on the issue it may not be worth repairing. I would say if a repair would costover 150 it is not worth it and you would be better off with a new computer. But you really should get it diagnosed, most places will do that for free and let you decide if you want to repair.

I am sorry that I am not able to fix it for you but this is one of those problems that would require me to have access to the computer to do the proper troubleshooting and tests.

If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time.

Chris